Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just purchased a 2012 Rebel for my 15-year old and wanted to join the forum to learn more about this bike. I myself have a 2018 ZX-10R. We saw it on FB Marketplace and went to look at it. It has two owners and has only 870 miles on it Garage kept and fairly mint condition. So I will take good care of it for my 15-year-old daughter. She will learn on it and hopefully be a good sensible rider.

Thank You for letting me join.
msk

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic rider course is an excellent way for her to learn the fundamentals of riding.

A nine year old bike with that few miles may have some carb issues if the fuel wasn't drained from the carb and tank.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Rebel is a great bike to learn on as well as urban commuter..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You, guys. I was concerned about the carbs but the previous owner who lives one mile from work rode it daily on nice days and when i test drove it, I did not see any stall or any other issues. Drove home from his house about 4 miles on city streets and it idols nice and no hesitation or stumbling. He took good care of it but I am keeping an eye on it and shutting the fuel at night.
MSF course I took about 21 years ago when I started riding sportbikes again. So I will sign her for that course. today is our first day and I spent the evening cleaning-polishing etc. Even though I have literbikes for the past 20 years, this little machine amazed me by just riding it home today. It is a beautiful and easy-to-ride machine. I really liked it.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Nice looking bike!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You. So today, I took the time to read the forum. Also found FSM online. The bike is unmolested and is in mint condition (knock on wood). For the few miles i rode it, I really enjoyed it. Compared to my ZX-10R, which is difficult to ride in comparison and is much more responsive. This bike forgives you, but the ZX-10R does not LOL

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
When I first began to ride, 99% of the riders who saw me on the Rebel shook their heads and told me I would be wanting a bigger bike soon. I took what they said to heart and bought a Kawasaki VN750. The acceleration and shaft drive were nice, but that's all it had over the Rebel. I parked the Rebel and rode that bike for a few years. When the stator died, which is a certainly with that model, I got back on the Rebel. I'd forgotten how much fun it was to ride, light, responsive and great on gas too. I've never fixed the stator and the Vulcan is sitting in my barn, which is probably where my heirs will find it.

·
Registered
1985 CMX 250C, 1982 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly.
30 Posts
Thank You. So today, I took the time to read the forum. Also found FSM online. The bike is unmolested and is in mint condition (knock on wood). For the few miles i rode it, I really enjoyed it. Compared to my ZX-10R, which is difficult to ride in comparison and is much more responsive. This bike forgives you, but the ZX-10R does not LOL
Welcome! My daughter bought the Rebel I enjoy. I got it off of her, sold 4 of my other bikes, kept this & my GW. Fun, stingy with gas, & nimble enough for a daily rider. ENJOY!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes thank you. I was surprised for the low insurance rates for this. My ZX-10R is much higher and I constantly fight with State Farm to lower my rates.

·
Registered
1985 CMX 250C, 1982 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly.
30 Posts
Sport bike, (Always pay more insurance for anything 'Sport') vs. Older cruiser. That's a major part of the difference.
I had the same problem with a cage, Corolla 'Sport'. The word "SPORT" seems to mean $CA-CHING$ to insurance companies.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
The price also has a lot to do with the engine displacement. IIRC, insurance was the same for my Rebel and Ninja 250.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ture. here in Oklahoma, we have more uninsured motorists and they spread the cost of those to the rest of us. Its time to find a new Insurance company

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
I pay $75/year combined for Rebel and Vulcan with Progressive Insurance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that is pretty good. The Rebel insurance is cheap for now but my ZX-10 is 300 per 6 months. It used to be around 230 or so but they hiked it up without me claiming anything. I have a clean record.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts