Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought about putting a helia coil in the worn out plug hole but have been told they wouldn't hold because of the aluminum head any truth and if so does anyone know where to get used parts

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
You need to have a Timesert fitted to head not a helicoil

Reactions: SoakedKarma

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Another option is Keenserts an Alcoa aluminum brand stainless steel insert

you will have nothing but problems over time using Helicoil insert in aluminum

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another option is Keenserts an Alcoa aluminum brand stainless steel insert

you will have nothing but problems over time using Helicoil insert in aluminum
Why is that? I'm late asking now since I used a helicoil type insert already..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
being a spring filling in excess space there is nothing holding it into place.
as you torque spark plug the helicoil will deform the threads cut into the aluminum slightly each time plug changed.
This won't cause problems at first, but as years go by and the number of times plug changed helicoil can loosen enough to extend into cylinder when a new one installed or retract itself when plug removed..
As you have already installed helicoil I would use anti-seize compound on spark plug threads and be extremely careful not to over torque..

·
Registered
58 Posts
being a spring filling in excess space there is nothing holding it into place.
as you torque spark plug the helicoil will deform the threads cut into the aluminum slightly each time plug changed.
This won't cause problems at first, but as years go by and the number of times plug changed helicoil can loosen enough to extend into cylinder when a new one installed or retract itself when plug removed..
As you have already installed helicoil I would use anti-seize compound on spark plug threads and be extremely careful not to over torque..
Ah I see! I used it on the valve cover threads so it shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts