Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday when i was riding, I stopped for a break and noticed that there was oil running down the jug on the left side of the engine below the head, exactly where the head gasket is. I can only assume that the head gasket is damaged, or the head bolts just need to be re tightened. I have noticed no loss of power (can still do 75 or 80 @ WOT), so the only symptom is the oil leak.

Any thoughts, suggestions, Schematics, trouble trees would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Try re tentioning head bolts first n clean off all oil.then ride n see if fixed if still leaks u will have to replace gasket. :thumb:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. 2 more questions, whats the torque spec and sequence, and if i do have to replace the gasket, does the engine have to come out of the frame or is it possible to remove the head without removing the whole engine?

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
I'm not sure of the torque specs but you should be able to replace the gasket with the motor still in the bike.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
torque for bolts 7-10 ft.lb n nuts 15-28 ft-lb & u can remove head without removing engine.:thumb:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok good to know.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7-10 Lb ft?!?! i know its a small engine but come on! my torque wrench only goes down to 50 lb-ft, and I have already learned my lesson with small values and cheap torque wrenches...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7-10 lb-ft?! Seriously? i know this is a small engine but come on! My torque wrench only goes down to 50 lb ft and I have already learned my lesson on using cheap torque wrenches... i still have nightmares about that day I decided to use a cheap torque wrench...

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
that's what factory recomend :thumb:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the manual says to remove the engine, but if it can be done with out having to, i wont, but first i gotta secure a good low value torque wrench (low torque value, not low price)

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
A 3/8" torque wrench should be able to do the recommended values.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one but i dont trust it. its a cheap one from one of those Made in China big box tool stores. i cant feel it click. and with torque values that low, i never will.

·
Registered
2 rebels: one 250, a comboi of junked 1st gen & wrecked 2nd gen. and a 450 I havent touched yet
20 Posts
I have one but i dont trust it. its a cheap one from one of those Made in China big box tool stores. i cant feel it click. and with torque values that low, i never will.
so why would you keep it? PS - in 2021, everything is cheap Chinese products. EVERYTHING. but hey - your 1986 single Keihin carb can fetch $200, and that's if all the moving parts have rusted and seized, and the entire thing is somehow packed full of red clay.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
There are numerous YouTube videos of folks doing comparison tests of Harbor Freight and much more expensive torque wrenches. I have yet to see one where the Harbor Freight tool wasn't within a percentage point of the expensive wrench values. If yours is HF, and doesn't operate properly, their policy is to replace all defective hand tools free of charge.

My hearing is just about gone, but I can feel the HF 3/8" wrench "click" when it reaches the set point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts