Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using an closed face helmet, not going to work for me no matter how hard I try. I just feel my vision is obscured when doing a shoulder check, I feel totally more comfortable with an open face helmet. I just have to accept my jaw is not protected, but that's not the discussion I was aiming for.

Those with open face helmets, what do you use for eye protection to stop bugs and drying out?

I've been contemplating the old fashioned goggles with foam inside. Quite a few have changable lenses to cater for the weather conditions. Anyone use these, are they good to use and do they obscure vision when doing your shoulder checks/lifesaver?

I'm going to be headed on a long drive soon and will be taking my open face helmet, so I am getting all prepped up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tried using an closed face helmet, not going to work for me no matter how hard I try. I just feel my vision is obscured when doing a shoulder check, I feel totally more comfortable with an open face helmet. I just have to accept my jaw is not protected, but that's not the discussion I was aiming for.

Those with open face helmets, what do you use for eye protection to stop bugs and drying out?

I've been contemplating the old fashioned goggles with foam inside. Quite a few have changable lenses to cater for the weather conditions. Anyone use these, are they good to use and do they obscure vision when doing your shoulder checks/lifesaver?

I'm going to be headed on a long drive soon and will be taking my open face helmet, so I am getting all prepped up.

Thanks.
I've been shopping helmets too. Some of the open-faced helmets have built-in flip-down face shields that retract when not in use (some even retract into a recess in the helmet case.) That might be an option worth investigating.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I started out with goggles--hated them. I wear glasses and spent extra on goggles designed to fit over prescription eyeware. They work but they don't protect the rest of your face from insect impact and other road debris. Also, in cooler weather my face got cold FAST. I changed to a full face shield that snaps on where the original visor was secured. I got used to it quickly. It flips up but I hardly ever feel the need to move it unless it begins to fog from my breath when the weather is colder, and the bike is not moving. I don't find that the shield obstructs my vision at all. That is my experience anyway. The goggles aren't that expensive, you could get a pair and try them--they may be just the answer for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I just use the safety glasses from work. They have excellent visibility, and they fit me perfectly. You wouldn't believe how many bug guts were washed off! So they have definitely proven their value. When I went to a local flee market they had the same glasses, but they were tinted. For under $3 a pair I bought a few more.

I tried a pair of MC safety glasses that had foam around the outside to act like goggles and absolutely hated them! Worst pair of glasses I ever bought! In the wind they would bobble and when that happened the foam would jiggle the skin around my eyes and "jiggle my eye sight". I just threw those away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts