Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some play in my handle bar that is located in the area circled in red. Its on both sides.

I am also not sure if this was always the case since I bought this a month ago and just noticing it now or this is a recent issue. I have ridden it about 200 miles so far.

There is not much info on this part in the service manual. Unless I am missing it.
Do I just tighten the bolt in yellow?
Is there any torque specification on this?
Is it as simple as that or is this a sign of other issues?

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
There are rubber bushings in there to help minimize vibration getting to the handlebars and your hands. For that reason, the nut isn't supposed to be super tight, and unless your handlebars wobble noticeably with slight pressure, suggest you leave them as is. The tighter it is, the more felt vibration. I didn't see a torque value, but the diagram in my manual isn't real clear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flitecontrol, so here is what I am experiencing. Sitting on the bike, if I grab the bars and lift/push up/forward or pull back, that part will move slightly. Maybe +-1/4 inch (a rough guess). But it feels exactly as you described and that makes sense. What I also noticed is that while I can move it like I describe, the Key slot does not move, but yet everything else around the key slot also moves. There appears to be a rubber washer around the key slot too. Almost to help with this vibration dampening.

Does yours do the same?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,984 Posts
imho 1/4" movement is too tight..my handle bars move fore and aft 1" to 1 1/2" when pushed/pulled

I tightened nuts to 20-24ft lbs specification as specified in 1st gen Rebel oem shop manual
after riding an hour to hour and one half my hands were going numb from the vibration..

Loosening nuts allowing more handlebar movement reduced hand numbness significantly..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mention of 1/4" each way play was a guestimate. I measured a little better with the help of my wife and its about 1/2" each way.

I now see/understand the purpose of the movement and the rubber bushings. I am glad I just didnt tight it down without researching.

Thank you both for your help.

I will be mindful of the vibrations in the grips when riding but my hands are not tingling and I have never felt uncomfortable. So I will just leave it alone, for now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are rubber bushings in there to help minimize vibration getting to the handlebars and your hands. For that reason, the nut isn't supposed to be super tight, and unless your handlebars wobble noticeably with slight pressure, suggest you leave them as is. The tighter it is, the more felt vibration. I didn't see a torque value, but the diagram in my manual isn't real clear.
These nuts land on a thicker part of the stems. So yes, they need to be tightened all the way.

If the rider thinks the bars wobble too much, the bushings need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
These nuts land on a thicker part of the stems. So yes, they need to be tightened all the way.
How tight is "tightened all the way"?. Another engineer on the forum, the late Duckster, held that the bars should not be "too tight" (another subjective value). Since the manual specifies a torque value, readers should probably use that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But to be clear tightening to Torque will still leave some play, right? The play is in the dampening g of the rubber bushings?

I also saw a lot of others posting similar "play in bars" type of inquiries too.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Since the bar mounts are designed to reduce vibration, tightening them to Honda's specs shouldn't create a problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
For me, it's clear, for others a mystery.

Yes, the nuts will have a torque value, which makes the nuts land on the thicker part of the stem. That leaves a certain length between the nut and the upper part in which the rubbers will have a pre-compression, giving the handle bars a limited 'swing'.
But through time, the rubbers wear out and the handlebar will start swinging excessively. New rubbers or some more material clamped along with the old rubbers will solve the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts