Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally made some time and 3 trips to the dealer to get my chain back on my 2007 Rebel 250. (I bought the chain there, didn't realize it wasn't the proper length...had to order a tool and they cut it down and then gave me the wrong master links after THEY cut it too short, not real impressed)

Unfortunately I think I put the brake drum on wrong somehow...the wheel was pretty stiff at first then got free turning so didn't give it much thought.
Took it out for a small ride...wouldn't do over 60mph very well and my brake pedal needed adjustment, thought no big deal...I'll figure this out.
DRUM was too hot to even touch, glad I stopped. The brakes seemed fine so I just set them back on the wheel...what did I do wrong?

I'm letting the bike sit for the weekend, should have taken pictures and going to order a manual right away. Hope I didn't screw this up now...

Super Moderator
New chain is shorter than an older, stretched chain. The brake rod, number 8 in this diagram, needs to be adjusted (loosened in your case) for proper pedal movement and brake shoe engagement. 2009 Honda CMX250C A PEDAL | Cheap Cycle Parts

You certainly aren't the first to do this, but don't ask how I know this. 馃檮

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I'm confused...wouldn't my brake have to be pulled to be...activated? Or is it not that style of drum brake? The rod adjustment is SUPER loose so maybe I put the bar the lever that connects to the drum in the wrong spot...I didn't mark it because I'm dumb...

Super Moderator
If the rear brake adjustment rod is too short, it's going to act just like the pedal is pushed. If you are old enough to remember manually adjusted drum brakes on a car, they could be adjusted so tight that the shoes would constantly rub the drum, even before the brake pedal was pushed. Think that's what's going on with your brakes. See this diagram for how things fit together: 2009 Honda CMX250C A REAR BRAKE PANEL | Cheap Cycle Parts

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, the pedal was super loose...I figured it was because of too much slack, I'll mess around with it again tomorrow after work once I get it up on the stand again.

Super Moderator
A pedal with a lot of slack shouldn't be locking up the brakes. I'd check the installation again. The longer axle spacer goes on the right side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts