Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into purchasing a 1986 Honda Rebel 250 for my first beginner bike. I was wondering if there is a way to add a gear indicator? I thought I saw a topic about this but cant seem to find it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
The bike comes only with a neutral indicator light. There are red arrows on the speedometer which indicate maximum speeds for each gear. Most riders don't look at a tachometer or gear indicator because they learn to shift by the sound of the engine. Learning this skill usually doesn't take long at all. Have you taken a basic rider instruction course? It's the best way to learn the fundamentals of riding, including when to shift, and trained riders have fewer, and less severe crashes than untrained riders.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome robinson89c :) You'll develop muscle memory before you know it be able to stop counting the times you've up or down shifted. Stay safe and have fun!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm still looking for 6th gear after putting 12K mls. The gear ratios are just too low or it needs a 6th.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
An easy way to tell if the bike is in fifth gear is to try slightly raising the shift pedal. Don't use the clutch. If it moves slightly, the bike is in fifth. If it doesn't move, the bike is in a lower gear.

Fauxpasrebel01, I was looking for more gears for quite a while. Eventually I got comfortable with the engine sound in fifth and quit trying to upshift.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am finding that I dont even get close to the marks on the speedo, before shifting. I feel that the bike is just screaming, usually shifting out of first by about 20-25 Km/h ie 10-15 MPH, and out of 2nd around 40-50 km/h ie 25-30 MPH. Just curious if I might want to wind it out a little bit more, or If I am happy shifting where I am, leave it as is for increased reliability? Used to riding a 1000CC v twin.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
The Rebel is supposed to sound like an angry mosquito, that's where the power band is. The manual states that it "is okay to be in 5th gear at 35 MPH." So 5th gear has quite the speed range. I personally have used 3rd gear at 55 MPH to climb up a mountain. Everything was okay and within operating specs.

As for knowing what gear your in...I still find I'm up shifting after I was already in 5th. You just have to get used to counting your shifts. It happens to all of us...

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I am finding that I dont even get close to the marks on the speedo, before shifting. I feel that the bike is just screaming, usually shifting out of first by about 20-25 Km/h ie 10-15 MPH, and out of 2nd around 40-50 km/h ie 25-30 MPH. Just curious if I might want to wind it out a little bit more, or If I am happy shifting where I am, leave it as is for increased reliability? Used to riding a 1000CC v twin.
Those speedo marks are the maximum speed for each gear. Like Guba said, wind it out if you need to, but I wouldn't hit those marks regularly, don't think my hearing would like it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
StreetSquid. There is a lot of leeway in the rpm/shifting ratio. Lugging the engine is probably more common with new - to - Rebel riders. That is certainly something you don't want to do. I have found that the up shifts are much smoother if you throttle up to higher rpms before engaging 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I don't waste much time in 1st. Like you, I get into 2nd pretty quickly. A lot of it, as Guba mentions, depends on terrain and the weight you're carrying. And of course the traffic conditions. There is a stretch that I ride regularly that is a really steep down hill grade that starts at a stop sign. I start off in first and then keep the clutch in and by-pass 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, because my coasting speed is already past 45 mph. Generally, I think you can trust your ear. I never look at the speedometer for gear shift recommendations. I want to keep my eyes on the road and what is around and behind me. No worries. You'll find your comfort zone. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nardospark and Flitecontrol, thanks for your input, as far as lugging I don't think I am doing that. but the engine does seem to be spinning over pretty fast when I do my shifting, even though I am a ways from the " indicated max speed for each gear" My wife on the other hand may be lugging it a bit, so I am trying to give her some help with shift points, at least until she gets used to the engine revs. I am finding that it falls somewhere between the rz350, that I used to race , and my current DL 1000. ... a little closer to the rz I think.
again, I would like to say thanks for everybody's input. Maybe I will be a little more confident spinning it over a little faster once I have checked my valve clearances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts