Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I have a slow oil leak on my 04 where the cylinder meets the crankcase. And I was wondering if I can use some of the gray silicone gasket maker i have to reseal it. Or should I buy the Ebay engine paper gasket kit?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
I prefer a paper gasket because it doesn't pose the hazard of excess silicone breaking off inside the engine and causing a problem. Many years ago, I bought an entire paper gasket set for the cmx250 for $14 on ebay . Now if I could only remember where I put it..............

Using gasket remover and a credit/gift card scraper will ensure the aluminum mating surfaces aren't scratched.

Reactions: SoakedKarma

·
Registered
201 Posts
First thing I would do if figure out why it is leaking?
Normally, when all is clean and flat, a paper gasket will seal 100% by itself, no added liquid stuff is needed.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
26 Posts
My opinion, and I'm by no means an expert, but if it came with a gasket, it should have a gasket. Remember that gaskets are designed not only to prevent leaks, but to take up space as well. For a base gasket, that means the cylinder block will be ever so slightly farther away from the cases than it would without a gasket, while the piston height would remain the same. To some small degree that will affect the static compression ratio. For an '04, I would use the oem Honda gasket. If you are talking about the base gasket, they can start leaking for no apparent reason, just like most other gaskets. If it is just barely seeping, I'd just leave it alone. Replacing it means pulling the head and cylinder block. You have to tear down the whole top end of the engine. But if I were going to do it, I would definitely use the real Honda gasket. It is only $10, and if you're going to do all that work, I'd want the best gasket available. Oh, and you will also need a new head gasket and exhaust gaskets as well. I don't think you can reuse those. Altogether it would be about $50 worth of gaskets.

If you do it, I would look for anything wrong after you have it apart. But I really wouldn't expect to find anything. It seems we still haven't figured out how to build an oil tight engine. I've read all about how old British bikes and Harleys leaked oil all over the place. Things have definitely gotten better, but engines still leak oil.

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,673 Posts
i'll assume you are thinking of externally sealing, as BigBob indicates the trouble to replace cylinder base gasket is well worth installing correct gasket from the gitgo.. btw many have reused exhaust pipe gaskets without problems, still going to need a head gasket though..

I wouldn't expect external sealing to work in the long run though there are products that claim to do so.. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018PW15I

check torque of the head/cylinder bolts..

PS be sure crankcase vent tube isn't obstructed and puke/drain tube is empty..

·
Super Moderator
29,858 Posts
Failed to mention I have the same leak. It's small, and I address it by wiping oil off the flat area below the leak every other ride or so. Helps keep the riding pants from getting oil soaked.

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely was not talking smearing silicone on the outside of the block. I was making sure that I actually needed paper gaskets before I bought them.
I guess it is kind of a no brainer to buy the paper gaskets when they're $20 on the Ebay.

I checked the pcv system and everything seems fine so I think that gaskets are just old.

Mine is leaking at the base gasket, and the leak is kinda small, but I'd rather just fix it.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts