Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm preparing to do a top end job on my 86 Rebel 250 and I have a little trepidation about ordering gaskets. This ebay seller has a kit that says it's for the 1986 model, but in the description it says it fits every model from 1985-2014. Is this true? I feel like it isn't. I once replaced the valve cover gasket after ordering from a similar seller and it wasn't the correct shape at all.

What years do the gaskets change, if any?

Super Moderator
I use this resource to compare parts across model years. It may not be entirely accurate as to what will fit close enough but is good at showing part changes through the years.

Registered
The aftermarket head gaskets are the multi-layer type.
The OEM head gasket is a single layer of soft material, reinforced with metal.

How ever, the aftermarkets are easy to use, but it is needed to remove the rivets which keep the layers together. Meaning, the layers will come loose from each other. Just don't swap the order. Simple.
If you do not remove them, the rivets will line up in a spot in which they can not be in, and that is being clamped in between the head and cylinder block. You don't want that.
I've done a bunch of engines already and they all seem to work fine with the (China) aftermarket head gaskets. Just make sure to clean up the faces, head and cylinder block before fitting. I usually use a good oil stone for dressing up (if needed)
One more thing; the rubber rings around the Dowells are NOT to be reused!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How ever, the aftermarkets are easy to use, but it is needed to remove the rivets which keep the layers together.
One more thing; the rubber rings around the Dowells are NOT to be reused!
On this gasket kit, are the rivets on the outer holes of the gasket below the valve cover gasket? (black)
Is part number 3 on this page the mentioned dowel rubber ring?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The aftermarket head gaskets are the multi-layer type.

How ever, the aftermarkets are easy to use, but it is needed to remove the rivets which keep the layers together.
Is the 86 Rebel different in any way to others? I'm trying to use this 3 layer metal head gasket from the purchased kit and only one of the dowel pins fit through the holes. When I line this metal gasket up to the old gasket, it's apparent that the holes on the metal one are not large enough in two places. Can this be drilled out or is a tight fit around the dowel pin important to the function?

Also, the rubber rings around the dowel pins on this level seem like they sit a little high, do they just get compressed down?

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
not the first time this problem has been seen here
Answer can be found at:

Registered
I found a leaflet in one of the head gaskets I used just recently, and it said to exclude parts number 3, being the rubber seal thingies. It's as simple as that.

But, be aware of the China gaskets, you have to cut off the rivets which hold the layers together, otherwise, they land in between the cylinder block and head. That won't work!

Registered
I have a genuine single layer gasket, has anyone confirmed no leaks when all 3 of the dowel o rings have been left out? I'd rather not build this thing twice!

12251-KB4-315 no longer available
12251KBG671 is the gasket I have

1 - 10 of 10 Posts