Honda Rebel Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Looks like a lot of repair to me... lol.

So, when you lowered the tunnel, that obviously increased the capacity, but did you weld the mounting tabs back in the same location so the tank is in the same height relative to the bike? IOW, did you just remove some of the wasted space between the tank tunnel and the bike frame? Or does it in fact ride higher?
The tank capacity was increased, that was the whole idea behind the tunnel being lowered.
When the 250 tank is installed on the 450 there is a large space between the tunnel and the frame, I simply used that wasted space and welded the tabs back in the same place so the tank is at the same height.

·
Registered
241 Posts
2000+ miles now on my 85 250 and the 3.4 tank is solid.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
No seal

Good deal on the 2000+ miles, did you seal the over size tank?
Just looked inside after it was painted and it looked clean and shiny by flashlight. Read up on sealing and there was too much hemming and hawing about good or bad. Only issue I have with gas is when it is parked in the sun for a bit of shopping when I take off it stalls out a bit for 10 seconds or so then goes normal?? Getting 83mpg so I guess it is doing fine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just an update. 5000 miles on the tank and perfect, except for a dent :-( I live in the White Mountains in Northern Arizona and a wind gust that clocked out at about 50mph according to a neighbor's wind thingy blew my bike over from the kickstand side to the right. Sucks. I bought a stick on brass lizard and used it to cover the dent :))

·
Registered
1 Posts
So you have already installed it and it fits? I have been looking for months. Can you send me a link to where you got yours? Just any 250 tank that is 3.4 capacity will fit? I have been told the 250 tanks DO NOT fit the 450s.

·
Super Moderator
29,570 Posts
I didn't re-read the entire thread, but IIRC, the 250 tank will not fit without modification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
450 rebel tank

I counted over 30 holes as seen in the attachments, some the size of nickles. The person that I bought the bike from used JB weld, bondo, and tank sealer. The tank seaped pretty bad, but I had no idea till I started peeling back the layers. I've been trying to weld the holes with a mig, and makeing some progress, but it is frustrating and I think it would be less work modifying the 250 tank.
I just bought another 450. I bought it from a girl who was pretty ingenious. She made her own petcock and it seems to work pretty good. Looks like I could improve on what she did. I hadn't got into it yet but it looks like she used pvc plumbing parts. Also she tried j.b. Weld. It Didn't work either. They sell a special 2 part putty at the auto parts store that is made for gas tanks. I've used it on cars before and it works pretty good. I've never tried it on a painted surface before. Might be the answer tho. I'm also thinking about replacing with a custom made tank but to my thinking it takes away from the classic rebel look. Good luck

41 - 48 of 48 Posts