Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I think that tank can be saved.
It might take welding in some plates, using the Caswell sealer and some grinding and filler to make it seald and pretty but I've seen worse tanks saved.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Looks like a project for a talented welder. Always good to see a 450 tank brought back from the brink of scrapdom. Such tanks are getting all too scarce.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think that tank can be saved.
It might take welding in some plates, using the Caswell sealer and some grinding and filler to make it seald and pretty but I've seen worse tanks saved.
That's encourageing. I am slowly working at it. Have already burnt thru a 4" grinding wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Wow.. yeah you got your work cut out for you there.. but I too have seen tanks in worse shape brought back to life...

Since it is a 450 tank I would say it is worth the work...

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Slow and easy does the trick.
I saw a worse Triumph tank saved. That fellow actually cut out some from inside the tunnel, welded his patches inside the tank, the replace the tunnel section he cut out.
The inside got sealed (Kreem was all there was then, I'd go Caswell these days)
Then the outside got puttied using JB Weld of all things. After sanding and priming and some more sanding and priming it got painted and looked great. You would have never known it was all rotted out like it was.
It took him some months to get it but it was a restoration that he really wanted to do.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I have a tank like that we took and had the holes replaced with new metal. Cost like 50 bucks. I may be putting that tank up for sale tho cause we found another mint 450 tank that just needs painting.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
if you have a welder I would think that cutting and patching would do the trick... I helped a friend who stretched a tank.. he cut out the tunnel and the end of the tank. Then he took a sheet of metal cut and shaped it, then welded it to the bottom of the tank. he took another piece and shaped and welded it to the tunnel, welded the tunnel to the tank and he had an awsome stretched tank with no leaks...

The only real gas tank restoration I have done is to clean the rust out of the inside, dent repair and painting.. however I did pick up a cheap tank at the junk yard and want to give a try at reshaping it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
gave up on tank repair. just wanted to let folks know that there is a 3.4 gal 250 tank that worked for my 450. Yes it's not perfect fit, but it's bolted on and looks nice. I should replace the bushings with the 250 bushings, but for now I just put the 450 bushings on the back side of the tank mounts. The tank does sit too far forward and the triple tree hit the seams at the saddle. I used the tripple tree to gently fold the seems inward (yes basically dent them), hardly noticeable. I read that these tanks rubbed the valve covers, but I have clearance all the way. I had to straighten the angle for the back mount a bit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
gave up on tank repair. just wanted to let folks know that there is a 3.4 gal 250 tank that worked for my 450. Yes it's not perfect fit, but it's bolted on and looks nice. I should replace the bushings with the 250 bushings, but for now I just put the 450 bushings on the back side of the tank mounts. The tank does sit too far forward and the triple tree hit the seams at the saddle. I used the tripple tree to gently fold the seems inward (yes basically dent them), hardly noticeable. I read that these tanks rubbed the valve covers, but I have clearance all the way. I had to straighten the angle for the back mount a bit.
I am wanting to get one of these and make it work. I was wondering, is there any chance I could drill a hole in the back mounting flange a bit closer to the tank to mount it a bit further back from the triple tree to avoid contact? Is there that kind of room on the flange? Would as little as a 1/2" do it? And I suppose that would mean adding length to the mounting flanges up front, which should be the easy part.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i used the old brackets off the 450 tank, spreading the tank tunnel 2inches will clear the valve cover!
Seems like 2 inches is a lot, and risks working weld joints lose and/or buckling the outside of the tank somewhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
have just ordered a after market a aftermarket 3.4 gal tank from the states hope I am able to get it to fit with some mods by some one with the cutting and welding using the brackets off old tank seems a good idea it the cutting and welding at back that gets me bit worried though prob use pet-seal or something like it on it when done I think

·
Super Moderator
7,832 Posts
have just ordered a after market a aftermarket 3.4 gal tank from the states hope I am able to get it to fit with some mods by some one with the cutting and welding using the brackets off old tank seems a good idea it the cutting and welding at back that gets me bit worried though prob use pet-seal or something like it on it when done I think
I would use Caswell tank sealer it is the best

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The rear bracket can be left alone. The front brackets are the ones that will need reworking. Plus you end up with the tank hitting the valve cover if you don't spread the tank tunnel.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
in the end i found some who restores classic british bikes he cut the bottom off the original tank sand blasted the inside of the tank then brassed the bottom back on and used caswell to line the tank he then sprayed all the tin work and made a fantastic job of it can be seen in my gallery was not cheap but you get what you pay for

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are many ways to repair a gas tank, installing one of the after market tanks is one of the cheapest ways
Here is a modified tank that didn't need any repair. http://www.hondarebelforum.com/f18/just-another-250-tank-on-a-450-a-75970.html
Looks like a lot of repair to me... lol.

So, when you lowered the tunnel, that obviously increased the capacity, but did you weld the mounting tabs back in the same location so the tank is in the same height relative to the bike? IOW, did you just remove some of the wasted space between the tank tunnel and the bike frame? Or does it in fact ride higher?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts