Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally found a gas tank that fits my 1986 CMX450 Rebel:p. Brand new in a box with new cap and 2 keys for $99. You can get the on Ebay. The extra capacity gas tank for the 250 which is 3.4 gal. fits perfectly. No retrofitting required whatsoever. YEAH!!!!!!! Found out about it on You Tube. Watched a guy remove the old tank and slip the new one in immediately. Keyed in aftermarket gas tank for CMX 450 to get to it.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Check to make sure the tank doesn't hit the valve cover. I tried fitting an oversized 250 tank and had the same contact points on the bigger tank that I did on the stock 250 tank. Hope it works for you but I suspect you will have some metal moding to do for it to clear the valve cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tryed looking for this video, does not exsist.
I tryed contacting Ebay sellers for info, but they have no clue if it fits.
Anyone have anymore info on this? Sounds like a scam...

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
I seem to recall seeing the video. The problems have been with fit and quality. Some bolt right on and don't leak, others don't fit properly and leak. Believe cagie got one. Maybe he can add more info.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Several problems with those tanks that I ran into having to do with quality. Bolt up to a 250, yes, but you have to be sure the mounts are all square. Mine had the left front mount about 1/4" lower and the rear mount was twisted. The other major issue is weld quality. It was fine for about 500 miles then began to seep at the seams and mount welds.

One last problem if you are installing on a classic and use the stock cap. The stock cap is vented and unless you plug up the tank vent you'll end up wearing fuel.

The tank was sealed and so far no leaks with over 3K and some very rough roads (read Michigan...LOL).

·
Registered
839 Posts
I bought an Ebay tank with cap and 2 keys a year ago. It started leaking, at the welds, on the MI rally. My kit from Caswells arrived the other day and when I seal my tank I will post pics. I wish I would have sealed it when I bought it. It would have been much easier.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
^ but who would'a thunk?

That Caswell stuff is pretty good. also makes an interesting hockey puck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did an ebay search of "aftermarket gas tank for CMX 450" and it returned zero results...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The larger chinese 250 tank WILL NOT fit a 450 unless you stretch the tunnel to clear the valve cover and make front adapter brackets.
I think the original poster was mis informed or confused.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah, i dont know what to do about my cmx450 gas tank. Its beat to hell and now the petcock doesnt work. Very fustrated. I dont even know where to go to have something made...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
yeah, i dont know what to do about my cmx450 gas tank. Its beat to hell and now the petcock doesnt work. Very fustrated. I dont even know where to go to have something made...
You can always bondo it up if it's just got dents. As far as the petcock not working a 250 non vacuum petcock will work in a 450 tank just so ya know.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
As far as the vacuum petcock not working there are some repair kits on ebay. Nice to know the 250 petcock will work. Just be sure to plug the vacuum line coming from the head for the vacuum petcock.

ride safe

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do you mean by stretch the tunnel. just like others, i have no choice but to buy the large cap. 250 tank and make it work. My tank has more holes then a spaghetti strainer:(

The larger chinese 250 tank WILL NOT fit a 450 unless you stretch the tunnel to clear the valve cover and make front adapter brackets.
I think the original poster was mis informed or confused.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
By stretching the tunnel, I believe he was referring to making more room for the tunnel to fit over (lower down on) the frame.

Were you aware of this? Caswell Inc. - Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer It's fixed a lot of leaky tanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
450 rebel tank

I counted over 30 holes as seen in the attachments, some the size of nickles. The person that I bought the bike from used JB weld, bondo, and tank sealer. The tank seaped pretty bad, but I had no idea till I started peeling back the layers. I've been trying to weld the holes with a mig, and makeing some progress, but it is frustrating and I think it would be less work modifying the 250 tank.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
I'd send Caswell a copy of that pic and ask if they think their product would work. If yes, they might want to use it in their advertising!

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I have a 450 tank in about the same condition! Thinking of using it for a planter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts