Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike with the paint on the tank mostly primer and filler. The excuse was "the guy I got it from started a custom paint job" Sure... I get around to going through this thing and discover some poop for brains has sealed the gas tank by blasting bed liner in the tank. I have heard of this red neck fix but had never seen it. This is likely also what ruined the paint. So I would prefer to replace the tank rather than spend any time on this one. My eyeball tells me a 250 tank is really close. It looks like the front mounts need to be moved, and I can do that. Anyone have experience with this? Alternatives? Thoughts suggestions????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you good sir! This affirms my suspicions about the fit between the two. I can make a couple of shiny triangle plates out of some scrap that covers and extends the originals. I will likely glue them on to the existing brackets with body panel adhesive. That stuff is amazingly strong. Off to order a new tank. BTW what is the capacity difference? I thought it was like .2-.3 gal larger, which come to think of it makes no sense.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,161 Posts
The original 250 tank is a 2.6 gallon. The extra large after markets are 3.4 gallon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original 250 tank is a 2.6 gallon. The extra large after markets are 3.4 gallon
Noice... The 450 man u ell says the stock one is 3.2. Makes one wonder if these replacements are shot off the 450 dies but tweaked with mounts and outlet to fit the 250. We may never know. But good fortune.

·
Super Moderator
32,325 Posts
Reactions: Emil

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,161 Posts
^^^^Ditto on the Caswells. I've tried others, but Caswells holds. The others that I've tried, leaked within a few months. The oversized one on my '85 has never leaked after doing this. It's best to treat the tank when it is new & before it has had gasoline in it.
Also, just to add, do not use fuel additives like Lucas or Seafoam cleaners. They can break down the epoxy.

• Helpful
Reactions: garicao and MWE

·
Super Moderator
32,325 Posts
^^^^Do not use fuel additives like Lucas or Seafoam cleaners. They can break down the epoxy.
Didn't know that. Since Seafoam is basically light oil (ATF), naptha (white gas) and ethanol, I'm curious as to what ingredient would cause that.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Perhaps I mispoke. :whistle: I know for sure that the Lucas fuel treatment is specifically mentioned on the Caswell's can. It also says, ' and similar products', so I've been staying away from all additives that could possibly be an issue.
Seafoam may indeed be fine, I now just stay away from them all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gas "additives" to avoid like the black plague are the ones with MEK or Acetone in them. Easily IDed' by the nose. Those eat a wide range if rubbers and plastics. Paint also. Great for washing out a tank though. I might just use a washing soda and water based de greaser (purple). Would work fine on a new tank. Then bake it in a 80C oven to make sure all the water was gone. The Caswell's would need no further prep. Others might need phosphoric acid to stop and convert the flash rust.

On the brackets thing. Don't have the time to set that up. I will likely make some shiny plates that cover the stock 250 tank ears and reach out to the existing bolt holes. Should look passable, Cardboard template, easy to cut out with hand tools.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts