Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unfortunately dumped my bike some time ago and the front forks became misaligned. There was an obvious visual misalignment between the handle bars and the front wheel/forks. I found two large cement blocks and drove the bike between the blocks and twisted as hard as I dare to realign the handle bars with the wheel/forks. All appeared to be in perfect alignment however there is a noticeable wear pattern on the front tire, sitting on the bike, on the right half of the tire. The tires are about two years old and the front tire is nearly 50% warn on the right side and like new on the left side. This would indicate that the tire is skidding and not running true. Using the exhaust pipe as a reference there is 1/8" difference between the fork positions. Is there an acceptable way to align the front forks. 1/8" isn't much but enough to wear the tire on one side. There are two large Allen screws securing the forks, if I loosen those will that allow for adjusting the forks? I went to a competent bike shop and it was suggested to twist it between two cement blocks, that did bring it very close to within 1/8". I may have to use another person to hold the handle bars while I twist it straight.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I think what you are doing is correct, but if you aren't loosening the fork clamps first, it's going to be difficult to line things up. The tubes need to be loose enough to turn, but not slip up or down in the triple tree. Once loose, they tend to align pretty easily. Having an extra set of hands helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts