Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would pose a question out there. After I changed the tires I noticed that the front is not centered under the fender,by what appears to be almost a half inch. using a quick stick measurement, it appears that the wheel is pretty close to center between the fork stanchions. approx 1/16" to 1/8" difference from side to side. UNFORTUNATELY, I did not notice whether it was centered prior to removing, as I had not ridden the bike, . when I bought it the tires were badly cracked. There seems to be no handling problems, I have had it at almost 120 KmH, and it was stable. And the fender does not appear bent or twisted. Just wondering if that is "NORMAL" or am I being too picky...

Super Moderator
not doubting but a pic or two would help

Super Moderator
I would think the stick measurement would be more accurate than eyeballing it. Just went out and put mine on the center stand. It looks to be pretty well centered between the forks, but I didn't measure anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just went out and did some more measuring, using a yardstick(straight edge) and a digital caliper. The tire itself is approximately 3/32" offset to the left on the rim, I was not able to get a good measurement from tire to fork leg, but the tire appeared almost the same amount closer to the fork leg on the left.. Visually the fender at the rear is almost centered over the tire, but at the front is noticeably over (photo attached). So... I am thinking that the fender is tweaked some..
NOW I am worrying about the tire (Bridgestone Mag Mopus) not being centered on the rim, or beaded properly...I did use plenty of dish soap, when installing the tire and it appears to be properly seated all the way around, on both sides.
Rebel fender.jpg

Registered
If the tire bead isn't seated correctly, you will feel it in the steering. There will be a noticeable wobble. You will feel it around 30-35 MPH.

Registered
I think your forks are twisted, find two large cement blocks and put the wheel between them and twist the handle bars until the tire is centered. You can also loosen the two fork clamp screws with the hex heads (just a little) then center the wheel and re tighten.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts