Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your continued enthusiasm in the Honda Rebel. We would like to ask if you like the front fork look (fork covers) on the right picture. Please let us know and tell us how old you are, too.

I represent American Honda's Motorcycle Division and would appreciate your response.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I dig fork gaiters because they are often found on the sweet '75 CB twin 500. maybe I would dig them less if every model of Honda included them. Doesn't that new model already have a dust boot over the fork seal? so this is like double Dutch/overkill. if you want to cover up the chrome on the forks then why not offer black forks like the upper section of the fork is colored black in the photo with the gaiters? IS the whole exposed fork black? If so, then leave the gaiters off.

It's user preference, but that new model doesn't really look like a fork gaiter kind of bike.
my two cents.

( I won't say how old I am, but I admit I have a white beard.)

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
This is a 250/450 board so the general consensus really doesn't apply to us unless you plan on re-releasing one of those discontinued models.

Hint, hint...

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm 37 years old and live in Austin Texas USA.

I think that the fork covers look nice when they match the engine and other metal on the bike. I have a 2007 Rebel and so I like and prefer the chrome appearance.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
AFAIK, fork bellows or rigid sleeve covers were near universal on early bikes with telescopic forks for practical reasons. This was often because of the external springs on these forks (fitted outside of the fork leg or stanchion) made it impossible to keep the stanchion clean of road grime. Early Japanese and American bikes had solid metal cylindrical sleeve covers fixed to the lower fork clamp that covered the fork leg and allowed the fork lower unit and spring to compress inside it.
Around the late '60s the Japanese started copying the Ceriani fork first developed by the Italians which featured an internal coil spring and just a dust cover on the fork lower to protect the fork seal. The hardchromed fork leg was fully exposed which made for a clean modern appearance as well as minimal weight on the racing bikes to which these were first fitted. This basic design has been widely used since then on production bikes including the Rebel.
The hard chromed stanchion doesn't really need any protection from road hazards on a street bike. Dirt bikes often have a protective deflector sleeve mounted on the front of the lower unit to deflect mud and stones, but street bikes get by fine with just the dust cover. The biggest enemy is loss of the chrome plating through rust pitting which can happen when the bike sits for a long time under damp or salty conditions. Oddly enough, bellows can actually make this problem worse under some conditions because they hold in moisture condensed on the cold metal under the bellows.
Nowadays bellows are just for looks since the "ceriani" style fork has proven to work very well over many years.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
I ts an old school 89 rebel/ 82custom
There were no Rebels made in 1989. The run ended in 87 and re-debuted in the mid 90's.

However, assuming you have Rebel forks then there are boots made for the Rebel's fork diameter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your continued enthusiasm in the Honda Rebel. We would like to ask if you like the front fork look (fork covers) on the right picture. Please let us know and tell us how old you are, too.

I represent American Honda's Motorcycle Division and would appreciate your response.
Love the fork covers, I’m currently trying to install them on my 2019 rebel. I’m 25

·
Registered
2 Posts
Age 55 first time owner I have an 86 Rebel 450 I love the black forks would like them for my bike Dixie (named by the guy that restored her). I’m putting my touch on her, springer solo seat, Z bar, and a few other little things

1 - 11 of 11 Posts