Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took off my front wheel and took a grinder and a wire wheel to take off all the rust. Any spokes that were a little lose, I tightened slightly from the back side only. I then painted it black. I put in new bearings. I replaced the tube and the tire. I installed a new disc that I ordered online. I then bought a new caliper because the one on the bike the bolts leading to the pins were rusted and when I tried to drill them out, I messed up.

the problem I had was the front wheel is wobbling. I took it to a mechanic and he noted that the front wheel spins fine when the caliper is off. It rubs against the brake at one particular point. I thought it was the disc being warped, so I changed it to my previous brake disc and it seemed better. As I go along though it seems to get worse like it is warping this disc too. Not too sure what to do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I took off my front wheel and took a grinder and a wire wheel to take off all the rust. Any spokes that were a little lose, I tightened slightly from the back side only. I then painted it black. I put in new bearings. I replaced the tube and the tire. I installed a new disc that I ordered online. I then bought a new caliper because the one on the bike the bolts leading to the pins were rusted and when I tried to drill them out, I messed up.

the problem I had was the front wheel is wobbling. I took it to a mechanic and he noted that the front wheel spins fine when the caliper is off. It rubs against the brake at one particular point. I thought it was the disc being warped, so I changed it to my previous brake disc and it seemed better. As I go along though it seems to get worse like it is warping this disc too. Not too sure what to do.
I am staring to think that it is the spokes. I might need to replace all the spokes anyway. I think I might just have a shop do it for me. I just want it done. I may go with the stainless steel spokes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said in my first post, I changed it back to the original disc and now it is doing the same thing

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me it sounds like ya didnt do the spokes right.
Yeah, I only tightened what was loose, but it may have been enough to throw everything off. That is why I am going to change the spokes with stainless steel ones. Follow me in my stainless steel spoke thread.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, I only tightened what was loose, but it may have been enough to throw everything off. That is why I am going to change the spokes with stainless steel ones. Follow me in my stainless steel spoke thread.
Spokes almost never come loose unless the wheel has hit something hard and buckled the wheel. Take your wheel off and put it in a jig and see if it turns true. Tightening loose spokes may only pull it farther out, you may have to re torque the tight ones to pull the loose ones tight. Your wheel may be beyond salvage if it is buckled.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spokes almost never come loose unless the wheel has hit something hard and buckled the wheel. Take your wheel off and put it in a jig and see if it turns true. Tightening loose spokes may only pull it farther out, you may have to re torque the tight ones to pull the loose ones tight. Your wheel may be beyond salvage if it is buckled.
Thanks for reply. I am currently ordering some new spokes and ai am having a shop put them on. We’ll see what comes of it when the shop makes them run true. Maybe I messed up, maybe a part I ordered was not right. Follow me on the conversation of stainless steel spokes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts