Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front brake is realy old and i could buy a new one but i was wondering if i could upgrade it to something better?
if anyone has any knowledge on this they would like to share be my guest :laugh: :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
The stock brake system is sufficient to lock up the wheel, so not sure what you mean by an "upgrade". If the brake on your bike isn't performing as it should, it needs to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
only brake upgrade i have noticed making a marked improvement is stainless steel braided brake line..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
only brake upgrade i have noticed making a marked improvement is stainless steel braided brake line..
Ditto!

I have used Revival Cycles in Tx for (longer) line and the banjo bolts. It was a little tricky to get the line set in between the bolts b/c the inner polypropylene(whatever) is very hard. First time I did it, I thought it was tight and it popped while riding!:eek2: Lot's of pressure there! Went back and did a much more thorough job in ensuring bolt was in the line as far as possible. This will take some strength to get done so get ready or get help! Been perfect since.;)

Really handy with reconfigured handlebars!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The stock brake system is sufficient to lock up the wheel, so not sure what you mean by an "upgrade". If the brake on your bike isn't performing as it should, it needs to be repaired.

A locking brake is not the same as a good brake...with a larger disc, you may brake harder just before it locks, may do a lot of difference on changing road-surfaces.

Arne K

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
A locking brake is not the same as a good brake...with a larger disc, you may brake harder just before it locks, may do a lot of difference on changing road-surfaces.

Arne K
I don't understand that. I'm no engineer, but since the Rebel front brake can go from slight slowing of rotor rotation to full stop, depending on how much pressure is applied, how would a larger disc improve braking?

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
Well both the clutch and brake on my Rebel are, in my experience, pretty easy to control. I've never locked up the front brake, and don't want to, but know it could be done.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm glad this topic was brought up. I have a 2016 model. Maybe Honda did some cost cutting in the final couple model years and in some way cheapend up on the rotor, because my rotor warped before 2,000 miles. I just ignore it. But it is annoying. It wasn't warped when I bought it.

Maybe I ride aggressively (not really I think), but hey, this is a Rebel 250 … how aggressive can one be? As for the performance, I find it adequate if not a bit better than adequate. Enough that I don't want for more braking performance.

I don't prefer to replace it with the same ole same ole, and have a new same ole rotor warp also.

Is there a "mo' bettuh" rotor out there?

7milesout

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bumping as I'm really wanting a better front rotor. Preferably one that is not drilled. Mo' metal, mo' heat dissipation (less prone to warpage). Surely flitecontrol knows a good one...

·
Registered
24 Posts
7milesout, how can you tell your rotor starting to warp? I may have this issue on mine because I don't feel consistent braking but it could be just the brake pads that I need to replace too.

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
Depending on how badly a rotor is warped, you may notice a slight pulsation when the brake is applied and the warped area moves through the pads.

Syreious, check your pads to be sure there is still material over the steel plates. Letting them wear to the point that there is metal on metal contact can shorten rotor life and braking performance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
7milesout, how can you tell your rotor starting to warp? I may have this issue on mine because I don't feel consistent braking but it could be just the brake pads that I need to replace too.
Syreious - It's very noticeable at high speed if it is warped bad enough. It can be kind of scary to NEED brakes and feel a shudder when slowing. Mine is not quite that bad. I feel it a bit at high speed, but I am expecting to feel it so it is very noticeable, to me.

But at low speed, like slowly coming to a stop, it feels like you have more brake power for an instant, then less, back to more, and that cycles. I can even feel a small amount of pulse in the lever. Annoying.

Anywho - I was an automotive engineer directly for OEMs for 12 years. I know the OEMs look for ways to make things less expensive all the time. I participated in that directly at times. I'm wondering if maybe the last year or two of production, maybe the front rotor was changed in some manner that reduced its quality.

I really don't want to purchase another rotor and have the same issue. I'm hoping there is a known quality rotor out there.

7milesout

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
I have no personal experience with aftermarket rotors, but EBC offers one, and their products are usually good quality. Personally, I would look on ebay for a used rotor from a late/low mileage model Rebel.

Is it possible the fork got tweaked and isn't perfectly straight?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have no personal experience with aftermarket rotors, but EBC offers one, and their products are usually good quality. Personally, I would look on ebay for a used rotor from a late/low mileage model Rebel.

Is it possible the fork got tweaked and isn't perfectly straight?
Anything is possible. I'll look and see if everything seems straight. Rides like a dream.

As far as the late model, low mileage Rebel … that's the exact rotor that's on the bike now! A 2016 Rebel, warped before 2,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
Maybe the rotor is defective from the factory? You can remove the rotor and lay it on a sheet of glass to see if it's warped. Try to slide a sheet of paper between the rotor and glass.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Oh, it's warped. Not horribly, but enough to annoy me. No need to take it off to know. I'll just start shopping around to see what I can find. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Flitecontrol! That's a great idea. I'll have to try it on mine. If it's warped, it's probably not very bad. I can't tell by just looking down the rotor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm surprised how uneasy this rotor search is. I've been searching for 1.75 hours. Nothing useful. The closest I got was a post from here saying they used the cheap rotor from D2moto. But when I go there, I'm not finding a rotor specific to the Rebel 250.

Is there another rotor that is being sourced that works for the Rebel 250? The Honda OEM rotor is a $224 mistake. Ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts