Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a good friend who teaches the local "How to ride like a motorman" classes with the Police Department. He and I had a ride together recently and he commented he noticed I don't use my friction zone for turning tight turns. I told him I don't let the clutch slip because that's how I was taught to drive a stick-shift automobile. He said motorcycle clutches are designed to be slipped....or used in the friction zone. I've been wanting to learn how to properly negotiate U-turns and handle-bar locked turns and he says that's the only way it can be done properly. I've been watching some of the Jerry Palidin videos and he mentions the friction zone almost every time he opens his mouth. So I ask you, fellow Rebel owners, just how stout is the clutch plate on the Rebel 250?????

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,098 Posts
It could be that most motorcycles use wet clutches, meaning the clutch disk are in the motor oil. I wonder why there are no autos with wet clutches.
Hudson had a wet clutch for decades.
Mack trucks had wet clutches into the 1990s and standard on many UPS trucks..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hudson had a wet clutch for decades.
Mack trucks had wet clutches into the 1990s and standard on many UPS trucks..
Thanks for the info, they are vehicle's I've never driven :)

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,098 Posts
Rebel is so nimble I don't need to slip the clutch during tight turn..

I suppose 500+lb bike would need some clutch slipping..
I know my Intruder was a pain to do a U-turn with, much of that was due to the 21" front rim though.. Stock steering geometry just wanted to flop bike on it's side and Suzuki reduced the front wheel to 19" after a couple of years..

Reactions: Emil

·
Registered
86 Rebel 450 (blue w/title and Black no title yet)
107 Posts
I honestly never even thought about a friction zone. Today I paid attention and realized I must have mastered that years ago because it just comes natural now. I wouldn’t worry about it affecting clutch life too much, just learn every technique you can, that’s how you become a better and safer rider!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
How stout is it? how about 11x your manual car's clutch. It's a compound clutch, where your car has 1 friction plate pressing against 1 metal plate, these bikes have 6 sets stacked providing 11 contact surfaces, immersed in oil so that 'riding the clutch' doesn't burn it.

Reactions: JSJJ388
1 - 8 of 8 Posts