Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike: 2008 Rebel 250...Odometer is less than 5000 miles. Have had bike six weeks.

Clutch slips a lot. If I "coax" it up to speed very slowly there is little slip but if I give it the gas quickly in any gear it slips noticeably...

I have the bottom adjustment all the way to "tight."
I have the upper adjustment all the way to "tight" meaning there are no male threads showing
(I adjusted both bottom and top clear to the other end of adjustment range and clutch would not engage at all.

I would like to replace/fix the clutch, so as to at least stop the slipping.

1. Option: just replace four clutch springs and gasket. I once did this on a VStar 650 and it stopped the slipping very effectively. I could do this myself.

2. Replace all the discs.

3. Replace discs and "basket" entirely.

In any event, I will do option one first. If that doesn't fix it I would like to find a mechanic in the general Charlotte, NC
area to do option 2 and or 3. Dilemma? Who to go to to have this done?

Will gladly pay a fellow Rebel person well to assist me to do this. Of course, such person would be in the Charlotte NC area.

Would be happy to know of recommended mechanics in my area to do this.

I am not afraid of the local dealer, but also not all that confident...(The local Honda bike store is closed and a nearby Yamaha dealer is servicing Hondas and other brands.)

Seeing as how I am only 85 years old, I would not expect the newly improved clutch to be good for more than 15 years or so. :)

Many thanks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will add this..I have changed the oil and it is now freshly filled with 10W40 motorcycle specific oil.

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
If you have it apart to replace the springs, it isn't that much more involved to replace the fiber discs. Lightly sand any glazing off the metal discs, soak new fiber discs in engine oil, and reassemble. You'll need a new lock nut, part number 16 here: 2009 Honda CMX250C A CLUTCH | Cheap Cycle Parts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Flitecontrol..I will do that.

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
I wouldn't remove the judder spring, but if you do, note the orientation. Needs to go back on the same way.

Reactions: k9cj5

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you again,,,I have parts on order at the dealer...There is a few week wait to get them...Stay tuned..

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Keith. At my age I have a number of health issues. I find that when riding, admittedly not very speedily and not very far at one time, I seem to have the same balance, skills and other favorable attributes that I have had since resuming riding in 2008 at the age of 72. However, I am no longer the daredevil that I was then. Some may say, wow, 72 is also very old. I feel I proved otherwise.

Cordially,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts