I finally got around to performing the 600 mile valve clearance check at 698 miles. Following the factory manual, everything came apart just fine and the valve clearances were all in range. But I broke one of the cap bolts at the front of the gas tank when putting things back together. No torque value is specified so I went with the standard 25 foot-pounds for a 10mm bolt. Not a good decision. I should have just made sure it was snug and left it at that. New bolts are on order. Then, while temporarily reinstalling the seats, I found the internal threads on the fender boogered up a little. So instead of riding next weekend, I'll be extracting a broken bolt and chasing threads, after I pick up the tools to do those things. I hope not to do more damage in the process. I always proceed with caution, use the correct tools, and follow the factory procedures, but sometimes that is just not enough to avoid problems. Advice is welcomed.