Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Rebel CMX250C
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've always loved fixing things and today marks my first day in fixing motorcycles. I just picked up a 1986 CMX250C that might need new pistons/rings. And as you can tell by the cardboard, it has a little leak. I'm hoping my $300 will (literally) carry me far! The thing is, I've never owned a motorcycle, nor know how to ride one - so this is a first as well! As I dismantle the bike and make my repairs, I will also be enrolling in a driving class and then get my license. I can't wait!

Anyone have a good link for a service manual?

20210619_110749.jpg

Thanks!
RebelliousRed

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,107 Posts
Welcome to the forum

What makes you think you need new P&Cs?
1st gen 85-87 Rebel oem shop manuals often found on ePay..
if oil leak from bottom of left side cover the crankshaft seal has failed..
Empirical evidence indicates over filling oil causes seal to be pushed out of seat..

·
Registered
1986 Rebel CMX250C
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough, I don't know for sure. The previous owner claimed he was riding and it started to smoke quite a bit. Then his "mechanic friend" said it was most likely the piston rings. That said, the oil leak IS on the left side of the cover and the exhaust pipe is covered - so perhaps it was just an oil leak that caused his smoking?

Either way, I plan on cleaning it up to see if I can spot the location of the oil leak. I haven't even checked the oil level yet! Thanks for your advice - looking forward to getting started.

Does anyone have a preferred parts store online?
Any recommended upgrades for an old bike? I saw someone mention updating the fuse box?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,107 Posts
inside left side cover is dry, or it should be :eek:..

at the bottom of left cover you will find a weep hole where the oil is draining out dripping on exhaust..

any good parts house should have 35mm x52mm x 7mm 91201-402-015 seal on the shelf for a lot less than stealership prices.

Much has been commented on regarding Rebel left oil seal leak, several forum search terms work with slightly different results.

Reactions: MaconMan77

·
Registered
2001 CMX250 El Bandito, 1984 CB650SC Bike Tyson
224 Posts
I suggest upgrading your horn! I put a high tone horn off a car on mine. Putting in a LED headlight and brake light bulb is also a nice easy upgrade. Learn chain maintenance before you start putting miles on it. Learning brake system maintenance and adjustment is also important. The safety course is awesome but it's more about riding and safety than the maintenance side of riding, and if you're serious, you'll want to do most of the maintenance yourself. It's your hide after all.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
408 Posts
I just found out about the the Cool Mods, Detailing & Appearance forum. Look there for different mods.
People make comfort cruisers, others make bobbers. I'm of the former group.

·
Registered
1986 Rebel CMX250C
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I'm still doing my research and it's good to know that the forum is chock-ful of advice. I'll keep you posted on my bike fixes!

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
Welcome to the forum. For riding skills, a basic rider course is a great start. David Hough has two books, Proficient Motorcycling, and More Proficient Motorcycling. If you have a local library, they may order them if requested. If not, purchase them yourself because they are certainly worth the price. Read them, read again in six months, and periodically thereafter. You'll be surprised how many more "nuggets" of great info you'll find in subsequent readings.

You'll hear about ATGATT in the course. It means wear All The Gear, All The Time. Unless a rider can predict when they are going to crash (which is impossible!), ATGATT is the way to go. This site sells some brand new and lots of lightly used motorcycle gear. Inexpensive Apparel | Honda Rebel Forum Word of caution, don't buy a used helmet, as you don't know whether or not it's been in a crash. There are several good helmet brands, such as AFX, that won't cost you an arm and a leg but provide excellent protection for your noggin.

·
Registered
1986 Rebel CMX250C
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OMG - spent some time with my bike today, beginning some maintenance. The dip stick showed oil at about the 2 inch mark. YEP. No wonder it was pissing oil from everywhere and that the previous owner said it smoked! I drained all of the oil and gas. Think I might need a new battery as even though my chargers say it's "charged", it won't turn over. And the Neutral light doesn't always come on right away... Just happy that I made some progress - tomorrow's another day!

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
408 Posts
Hopefully it's a WHOLE lot less work than originally expected. :)

Reactions: RebelliousRed

·
Registered
2001 CMX250 El Bandito, 1984 CB650SC Bike Tyson
224 Posts
Your air filter may be oiled now and need replacement. Draining your puke tube and blowing out vacuum lines may be a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
I recommend Yuasa brand batteries. Only a few dollars more than the El Cheapo batteries, and last much much longer when properly maintained. Will probably come dry, and you will need to add acid and charge at no more than 2 amps for 4-6 hours.

·
Registered
1986 Rebel CMX250C
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recommend Yuasa brand batteries. Only a few dollars more than the El Cheapo batteries, and last much much longer when properly maintained. Will probably come dry, and you will need to add acid and charge at no more than 2 amps for 4-6 hours.
Cool - I have been reading other posts about the Yuasa batteries - will take a look! Any preference on trickle chargers? Ideally one where I can leave the leads attached and just have a quick connect to charge?

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
I bought an inexpensive trickle charger several years ago, and it's still working well. It's similar to these two. Automatic Battery Float Charger (harborfreight.com)
12v trickle charger battery maintainer Motorcycle Car Boat ATV | eBay

Here's one with SAE connections that can be left attached. Automatic Battery Charger Maintainer Motorcycle Trickle Float For Tender 6V 12V | eBay

If the bike is ridden once a month or so, that should keep the battery charged. Storing a bike for 2-3 months shouldn't require using a maintainer. Longer than that, it's probably a good idea to have it connected.

Yuasa doesn't make an AGM battery for the first generation Rebels, so the fluid level needs to be checked periodically and topped off with distilled or demineralized water.

Reactions: RebelliousRed

·
Registered
1986 Rebel CMX250C
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got my Yuasa battery and acid yesterday and charged it with a 12V 2A charger. Refiled my oil, added fresh gas, and installed the new battery. After about 30 sec of on/off starting, plus some starter fluid, it fired up and eventually settled down into an idle!! I was then able to putter around my street in 1st. So happy!!

The local MSF courses are booked until Sept/Oct, but I'll apply for my permit soon. Still need to buy all the gear, plus a few parts (like that spring that holds the air filter in place! grrrr)

Happy riding everyone!

·
Registered
1986 Rebel CMX250C
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After having it running for 10-15 min the other day, no new leaks have appeared. I think the previous "leaks" were the result of a massive overfill of the oil, and having it pour out the breather tube. I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
OMG - spent some time with my bike today, beginning some maintenance. The dip stick showed oil at about the 2 inch mark. YEP. No wonder it was pissing oil from everywhere and that the previous owner said it smoked! I drained all of the oil and gas. Think I might need a new battery as even though my chargers say it's "charged", it won't turn over. And the Neutral light doesn't always come on right away... Just happy that I made some progress - tomorrow's another day!
Reb Red...When checking oil, the way I do it is to sit on the bike holding it level...then I take out the dipstick and wipe it off and put it back on top of the female threads but do NOT screw it in...If you screw it in, it will look like there is more oil in the crank case than there actually is.

·
Registered
1986 Rebel CMX250C
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reb Red...When checking oil, the way I do it is to sit on the bike holding it level...then I take out the dipstick and wipe it off and put it back on top of the female threads but do NOT screw it in...If you screw it in, it will look like there is more oil in the crank case than there actually is.
Yep - I wonder if the previous owner didn't realize this? Not sure if checking the oil while the bike is on it's kickstand would result in the 2" level I saw - but it was clearly overfull.

I've already learned so much from this forum, and I've yet to get the bike registered! (That's a whole other story... sigh) Thankfully, I have all of my gear, so from that perspective, I'm ready to ride!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts