Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I been welding 40 years come April, That's some dumbazz stupid stuff right there. I see it all the time on bikes and stock car chassis'. The little things gonna cost ya.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Hey Mojo!

You mean like betting your life a crappy weld is gonna hold?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hey Flite! how many pages did "Craigslist SNAFU" go to? I always liked seeing what people didn't give much thought to.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Good to see you here Mojo!

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey Flite! how many pages did "Craigslist SNAFU" go to? I always liked seeing what people didn't give much thought to.
It's still a live thread, you can click the link in the first post to see it.

I just started FB SNAFU because there's so much more material in those groups. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Case in point - here's a proud owner of the new model that sawzalled his fender off (see, this is the inherent beauty of the Not-Rebel: no need for rattlecan as everything has already been done for you at the factory...that just leaves the sawzalling & dismantling for ingenious work ;) ) who welded a couple of chain link fence post sections together and wrapped it:

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here's an oldie but a goodie ---

"You can't do it."
"I want to."
"It won't work."
"I'm doing it anyways."

Reactions: SoakedKarma

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
That's a gem. I hope it turns out ok for him so he can be obnoxious with his music whilst riding the rebel. I would bet against this being a long term mod. Someone needs to suggest that he install some train horns on that rebel.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Yeah most people don't understand that permanent magnet alternators such as that on a Rebel are severely limited in their ability to run accessory electrical loads. They are very simple devices with a constant magnetic field provided by the permanent magnets embedded in the flywheel. They are designed to have a small surplus of current output available when the design loads are on, and are provided with a regulator that works by partially shorting out the alternator windings to ground when system voltage is too high. (not enough load). Part of the fixed alternator current flows through the loads on the bike while the excess simply short circuits through the winding of the alternator by means of voltage activated electronic switches in the regulator. (SCR's). These systems work well on simple electrical systems, but don't allow for supplying, say double the design load by adding a bigass stereo. Overloading will draw the voltage down below that needed for battery charging and the bike won;t run for long like that.
Automotive alternators are totally different because they use electronically controlled field current (not permanent magnets)allowing power output to vary over a wide range.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
As Mr. Electricity stated, he wont have any problems because the shop said he'd be fine.

I wonder what the charging system upgrade will be once he discovers there aren't enough watts to run everything he wants; a generator mounted on the bike? :rolleyes: ;):D:angel::

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I want to know if that top box (tail box, trunk, tour box) he got is big enough to secure a full face modular helmet, and if so, where did he get it? :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Yes, it can, and I've seen them on ebay.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
How does he even get on this bike? Looks like the top box sits on the passenger seat and there's some kind of backrest/seat fastened to the front of it that would occupy the space over the solo seat. Normally a top box would be mounted much further back even on a bigger bike.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
That's a gem. I hope it turns out ok for him so he can be obnoxious with his music whilst riding the rebel. I would bet against this being a long term mod. Someone needs to suggest that he install some train horns on that rebel.
He could mount them on the rack atop the back case, and power them with the generator he'll need for the audio system! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Here's a guy who does a fairly decent job on the bike, and then ruins it by welding a wrench on to the shifter spline thus preventing ever being able to remove that cover behind it for service.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Here's a typical example of facebook stupidity: the answer was listed not once at the very beginning but a second time at the very end, and the first question is...

Exactly what did Captain Dumas (you remember those commercials, right? ;) ) read if he missed both the very beginning and the very end?

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I can't decide which is worse: bragging about the lacking ingenuity of unbolting the fenders or someone else of equally lacking intelligence claiming that it looks like "mint" condition?

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
I'm almost tempted to open facebook and look for snafus, almost.

·
Registered
256 Posts
From the Online Slang Dictionary:
mint
adjective
attractive, usually applying to a male.
That guy is mint.

very good, excellent; "cool"; "awesome".
Those new shoes are mint!

in brand-new condition, in reference to collectibles.
The 100-year old book was surprisingly mint.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I guess I'm not hip to the modern slang. As a comic book collector, obviously there was the real world definition I interpreted it for. ;)

21 - 40 of 116 Posts