Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Honda Rebel 2002 Custom
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, very old user here who got rid of his Rebel many years ago, and was always sad about it because it was one of the most comfortable and easy rides I've ever had.

Well, now I'm back with a new one, and it appears to be so heavily customised that the only thing 'Rebel' about it is the engine and the registration card.

Here's the bike:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Now, some problems/questions:

1. It's loud!

What are the options for making it a bit quieter? Some kind of exhaust muffler I guess?

2. The gears are apparently the 'old style', wherein the shifting is cyclic in both directions, i.e. kicking down just goes 1,2,3,4,N,1,2,3,4,N...etc, (There might be a 5th gear but I only got it yesterday and haven't stopped to really focus on it).

I want a 1-Down, 4-Up gearbox, as that's what I'm used to. Is it possible to buy and fit one of those?

3. Does the engine have a big bore kit installed?

Comparing with other examples of Rebel/CMX engines, it seems mine looks physically larger. A bit of fierce googling brought me to this somewhat obscure facebook post:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Grille

This is the only hint I can find to say that my bike might have a big bore kit installed. Does anyone know much about this?

Input and advice much appreciated 馃榿

(Also worth noting: The registration card for the bike says it's a Honda Rebel 2002, but to be honest it looks so far removed from a Rebel that I wonder if the only thing Rebel about it is the engine. The seller had previously listed this bike as a Honda Tracker...)

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
It's not a Honda Rebel,, I don't care what the paperwork may say.
It's a Chinese knock-off of which there were several..
engine looks like Baja motorsports Phoenix

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Reactions: sa1988

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Registered
Honda Rebel 2002 Custom
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you may be right.

It certainly feels lot different from my original Rebel, though that might be because the seller could have put different sprockets on it. It has tons of torque but doesn't feel like it would be able to hit 70mph (not that I need it as I live in Saigon).

Ah well, fun bike anyway.

Thanks for the input!

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
Welcome to the forum
Interesting bike none the less..
for a couple of decades several companies had imported 250cc Chinese bikes designed to their specifications into the US.
Johnny Pag Spyder was another Chinese cruiser import that was popular here in US

Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Welcome back to the forum. Joined in 2013 & still trying to get a Rebel back!馃檪馃榿
Most of us are keeping our Rebels too! You're really right about being comfortable and easy rides! Great on gas too!
Hope that one rides well.
In my research I saw that the Chinese bikes had more room in the front sprocket area, some changed to a 15t, & I even heard of some having room for a 16t. If it has too much low end & not enough top, this might be an easy mod to fix that.
The true Rebel can only be modded to a 15t.

Registered
Honda Rebel 2002 Custom
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome back to the forum. Joined in 2013 & still trying to get a Rebel back!馃檪馃榿
Most of us are keeping our Rebels too! You're really right about being comfortable and easy rides! Great on gas too!
Hope that one rides well.
In my research I saw that the Chinese bikes had more room in the front sprocket area, some changed to a 15t, & I even heard of some having room for a 16t. If it has too much low end & not enough top, this might be an easy mod to fix that.
The true Rebel can only be modded to a 15t.
Good to know, thanks! I'll inspect the sprockets tomorrow to see what can be done.

Registered
Indeed, that is a knock off.

I sold numerous Rebel engines already to quad owners who had these engines run to threads. i hope you didn't pay too much for the bike? The good thing is, you can always fit an original Honda engine. It'll bolt right in.

Registered
Honda Rebel 2002 Custom
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed, that is a knock off.

I sold numerous Rebel engines already to quad owners who had these engines run to threads. i hope you didn't pay too much for the bike? The good thing is, you can always fit an original Honda engine. It'll bolt right in.
$1000, which is probably quite a high price in Vietnam. It's had a lot of custom work done though so I'll accept the cost in terms of labour that somebody else put into it. (Not like I have a choice anyway :D )

I'll stick with this engine until if/when it gives up.

Registered
Honda Rebel 2002 Custom
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little update on the bike:

The engine started knocking, so I took it to a mechanic who found that the valve clearances were fine but the "clutch for starter is broken" (his words, not native English, not exactly sure what he meant because my engine knowhow isn't that in-depth).

He sent some pics:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part
Automotive tire Crankset Vehicle brake Bicycle chain Bicycle part

He also said "This bike definitely isn't Honda, it's a Chinese engine with 'Honda' etched on the side" 馃槀

There is also good news. This repair cost 600,000 VND, which is equivalent to a whopping $25.

So if things get bad, I think the repair costs will be manageable.

Either way, the bike isn't a Honda in any way, shape or form, so I guess my little return stint on this forum shall have to end!

Thanks all for the input.

Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Like was mentioned earlier, I've heard a Rebel engine will bolt right in. Then you could still feel at home here.馃槉

Registered
Honda Rebel 2002 Custom
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like was mentioned earlier, I've heard a Rebel engine will bolt right in. Then you could still feel at home here.馃槉
My fear on that is that the rest of the bike is so far removed from a Rebel that a Rebel engine won't bolt in as easily as it should. Hell I don't even know if the frame is a correct Rebel frame.

But still, if/when the time comes, I shall certainly look into what can be done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts