Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been lurking this forum for a while and owe everyone a massive thanks for all of the help. I am glad to finally have an account!

Recently, one of my exhaust studs broke and the collars came sliding down the pipe while riding. I have replaced the stud, both collars and gaskets. The sound went away for a while, but soon the popping and rattling returned. I have repeated this twice with the same results.

I don't think it could be loose; I used two bolts locked together on each stud and torqued them to them to oblivion. They seem tight as could be, but the problem persists and the bike sounds like a lawnmower.

Is there anything I am missing, those of you who have dealt with this before? Is it time to hit up the dealer? Any feedback is very much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
4,206 Posts
you could try a new copper crush washer under the header

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,376 Posts
did you tighten the exhaust pipe connection to head first while all other mount bolts are loose?

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
1st welcome to the forum! You're right a lot of good info from those experienced riders.
SoakedKarma has shown the proper procedure. But I am wondering, Is it possible that the old crush washer wasn't removed before installing another one?

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
My other question is, were the exhaust joint collars still there when you put it back together?
Number 4 in this picture.
They are 2 halves & will fall off if the flange comes loose.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The old crush washers came right out after picking at them with a screwdriver. I've been through two new sets trying to resolve the issue. Tightening the header bolts was the last step.

I'm wondering if the pipes aren't lining up well enough with the headers and crushing the gaskets properly. When I took the first set off, it looked like one of the gaskets had shifted aside.

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
Did you tighten things in the order indicated in the manual SoakedKarma posted? Is the replacement stud the correct length?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you tighten things in the order indicated in the manual SoakedKarma posted? Is the replacement stud the correct length?
I am not to sure I used the correct order based on the manual. After putting the gaskets in, I tightened the footpeg and other two bolts loosely to hold the pipes in place. I then brought the collars and joints up and tightened them. Then tightened the footpeg and bolts. Does that sound correct?

The stud appeared to be the exact length as the one on the other side, so I don't think that is an issue.

·
Super Moderator
30,831 Posts
I am not to sure I used the correct order based on the manual. After putting the gaskets in, I tightened the footpeg and other two bolts loosely to hold the pipes in place. I then brought the collars and joints up and tightened them. Then tightened the footpeg and bolts. Does that sound correct?
That's not my understanding of the sequence. The crossover/joint pipe fasteners should be tightened first if I'm reading it correctly, then the exhaust stud nuts and other mounting nuts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's not my understanding of the sequence. The crossover/joint pipe fasteners should be tightened first if I'm reading it correctly, then the exhaust stud nuts and other mounting nuts.
Oh, I see. I'll give that a try. Getting new gaskets now and will report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I said I'd report back... I think I see what is causing the leak to persist. When I took the exhaust off, the black collars on the outside were bent heavily and didn't seem like they could create a good seal. I hammered those flat once again and will try reattaching the exhaust in the right order once my new stud comes in (this is the second stud I have broken). Thanks again for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts