Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250 w/ Mikuni carb (VM series i think)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 with a mikuni carb come to find out, since purchase full throttle has been boggy. I was on my first long ride and my exhaust popped off downshifting to a stop (quickly), it got loud, shoots flames and pops which I know is horrible for the engine health I have the parts coming in, but im wondering why the exhaust coming off seemed to fix my throttle issue, do I have to much back pressure with the stock pipes on? im. so. confused. Especially with what to do next, I dont wanna fix the exhaust issue just to get my lack of power back I feel a lot safe now at light I accelerate way quicker now, anyways writing this at work I appreciate any feedback.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
Apparently the PO didn't get the air/fuel adjustment correct from the start.
The problem often is people get more air and more fuel in and don't adjust the outflow. It is a delicate balance. I know the 1st gen had a larger exhaust than 2nd gen. Maybe somebody put a second Gen. Exhaust on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
32,775 Posts
Any chance there is/was an obstruction in the exhaust? I restored my FILs moped and discovered it ran well with the exhaust off. Engine would run briefly and shut down with it on. Turned out dirt daubers had almost completely plugged the muffler.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
Good point!
I bought an RV & the mud daubers filled the furnace with strong mud. I forgot about them.
Good call flitecontrol!

·
Registered
1985 Honda Rebel 250 w/ Mikuni carb (VM series i think)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any chance there is/was an obstruction in the exhaust? I restored my FILs moped and discovered it ran well with the exhaust off. Engine would run briefly and shut down with it on. Turned out dirt daubers had almost completely plugged the muffler.
Good point!
I bought an RV & the mud daubers filled the furnace with strong mud. I forgot about them.
Good call flitecontrol!
you two are both, immense help. I will see if they are blocked in anyway and will start researching air/fuel mixture

1 - 6 of 6 Posts