Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda rebel 250cc
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello eveyone. I’m very new to owning a motorcycle. I currently have a 2004 Honda rebel 250cc. Previous owner had it garage kept and not used for about 2 years. Started fine when I test drove it. Recently just changed the oil my self following all the steps in the owners manual (I.e. warming the bike up prior to change, draining all the oil, and putting fresh 10w-40 in).* oil that was drained was pitch black* The bike started up fine before changing the oil.

Next I washed the bike using a damp rag and drying it shortly after being careful not to soak any parts.
Tried to start the bike about 15 mins after drying it with no avail. Holding the electric starter in no more than 10 seconds x two attempts. I then let it sit uncovered in the sun for a good 24hrs. Again nothing.

Sounds like it’s trying to turn over.
Start up procedure: kick stand up, petcock turned on, choke full, kill switch off, and in neutral. Going to check the battery voltage next. Not quite sure how to check the spark plugs/ or if I have the tools todo so but that’s also on the list.

also of note, just checked my oil level after changing it; the level is good but it’s now black. I’m at a lost at what todo next, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
sounds like a dead battery.. you might try jumper cables to car battery..
do not run car engine while jumping battery..
Or charge battery at no more than 2-3 amps with battery charger..
if it sat for 2 years I wouldn't be surprised battery sulfation has ruined the battery

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,875 Posts
How warm is it there? Many members don't need any choke/enrichment when the temperature is above 70°F, & even when it's colder I never go past ½ way on that lever.
Could be that it flooded.

Reactions: SoakedKarma

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
I'll agree with Emil, more than 1/2-2/3 enricher/choke kills my engine..
Don't have to use enricher/choke above 45°F

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Sounds like it’s trying to turn over.
Sounds like it, or it is turning over, which one? If the engine isn't turning over rapidly, my first guess would be the battery. Try jumping it from a car battery but be sure the car engine is off when you do. If it cranks, the battery may need to be charged or replaced. Most auto parts stores will load test a battery for free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts