Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 1&1/2 rebels at auction. $50, i couldn’t pass it up.
Engine was seized, but i got another that wasn’t.
Got it home, and noticed the plugs were out of the engine. Could mean, owner knew it was siezed, or it locked up because of that. Marvel mystery oil and time, and rocking the bike inhigh gear loosened the engine, but when it came to TDC. It stopped. Loosen valves. And still stopped when the piston came up from either direction.
Pulled the head and found a 4mm screw in the cylinder! ! (Dumb ass accident or sabotage).
Tore up the exhaust valve seat, so i pulled the head on the other engine. Disassembled, cleaned ports up and lapped valves.
Not concerned w the cam chain, I let it flop. Now. Chain is seized up in the lower cranckcase!
Whoa is me! If it wasnt for bad luck, i wouldn’t have much luck.
So.
Thinking about just pulling the cylinders. And re-ringing.
I have to Figure out the cam chain guides. And get the cam chain loose.

Looked on eBay. I can get rings from China. They have piston and ring combos for not much more.

My question. .....
Anyone had any wxperience with these products?

My next question will probably be....
has anyone had experience with replacement carbs?
My are toast.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Get a service manual. It will guide you step by step as you repair/maintain your Rebel. It would have explained how to keep the cam chain from dropping into the crankcase. If you are going to tear the engine down to get to the chain, measure the rings to see if they are in spec. If not, I have no experience with the Chinese ring kits, and would spend the extra few bucks to get a known good quality kit.

Why do you think your carb is toast? Most simply need a good cleaning and possibly new gaskets, O-rings and float valve to get them to original condition. Most of the replacement carbs on ebay are Chinese made dual carbs. North American Rebels use a single carb, and a different intake is required for the duallys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I guess time and common sense can fix anything.
Honda parts would be the way to go for no worries.

I think lifting the cylinder would greatly increase be opportunity to free the cam chain. Re ring it while im there.

My carb ( only 1 in the deal) was greasy on the outside and corroded on the inside.
Ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner after media blasting it. Looks great. All passages clear. Piston diaphram looks good. But worried about the accel pump , bowl gasket and float valve.
Do you guys have a special store ? That deals exclusivly with these bikes? Carb parts?

Sudco website has lots of carb parts , but doesnt have carb parts designated as rebel. Same carb as another model?

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
I get most of my carb parts from ebay, and the least expensive come from China or Hong Kong. Never had a problem with quality, but it can take a week or two to get them. If you're in a rush to get them, closer vendors are available, but charge more.

Here's a kit with everything but the pump for less than what a Honda dealership charges for a single bowl gasket: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Carburetor-Repair-Rebuild-Kit-For-Honda-CMX250C-REBEL-1985-2012/173995419067?hash=item2882ef65bb:g:vVkAAOSwQ9ldUl3B

And here's a new accelerator pump: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XL250R-CMX250-XL500-CB450SC-CM450-CB650-CB750A-CB750-CARB-ACCELERATOR-PUMP/381879506677?epid=1651359149&hash=item58e9cad6f5:g:S~4AAOSwceNZUZkX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back again. I have many projects and no time.
Ive knocked the cylinder loose but it wont pull up.
Am i over looking something? Cam guides loose. Cylinder is about 1/8” up. But wont pull up.
Guessed this where the cam chain stuck.

Guess i should get a manual. Like you said

1 - 6 of 6 Posts