Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this pic loads.I'm replacing the crankshaft and pistons in my 85 rebel.Also a bunch of other stuff like carb jet upgrade front fork mod and a new frame.I basically bought a 85 non running for 200 bucks with no title.I got a 2001 titled frame I'm transferring everything over to that frame.I also want to extend the swingarm and put 4 shocks in the back,more updates to come.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Welcome. The pistons and crank are definitely toast.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride when you get it finished

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine rebuild 85 rebel update

Update on my progress.I got the engine halves apart they came apart easy.Transmission is out all gears are in good shape.I got my replacement crankshaft in. I also ported and polished the head.I ground down some edges in the cylinder hemisphere to give it a clean area.Now I'm sandblasting the outside of the engine cases and head fines to expose the original finish.Then I will clean and air blast all the parts and assemble the crank and tran ny in a dry run then take it apart again and assemble it permanently. All bolts will have red hi temp threadlocker.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Looks like you are making good progress. Any particular reason you plan to use red thread locker? Will make it difficult to disassemble if ever needed in the future.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
I'd also recommend against thread locker unless specifically called for in the shop manual. Just properly torquing things up will work fine, and make it possible for the next guy to get it apart again if that ever became necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope this pic loads.I'm replacing the crankshaft and pistons in my 85 rebel.Also a bunch of other stuff like carb jet upgrade front fork mod and a new frame.I basically bought a 85 non running for 200 bucks with no title.I got a 2001 titled frame I'm transferring everything over to that frame.I also want to extend the swingarm and put 4 shocks in the back,more updates to come.
I honestly have no idea how this works other than I need some help, I have a 1985 250 honda rebel and I don't have a title and I would like one, what frames could I fit my engine into

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
I honestly have no idea how this works other than I need some help, I have a 1985 250 honda rebel and I don't have a title and I would like one, what frames could I fit my engine into
Welcome to forum. Any 250 rebel frame will work. Only difference is top engine mount to frame

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I would avoid any vin # bits without proper paperwork. Odds are greatly in favor that it is stolen, 2 names on the title and sold without the second owner's consent (see stolen), or sold with an unsatisfied lien still on the books.

There is the slim margin of 'genuine barn find' things, such as a storage unit seized and auctioned for non-payment, or abandoned property by a tenant that left the country, left this mortal coil, or left their hopes of freedom at the door to the pokey, and the abandoned property is seized/sold by the landlord.

The person 'seizing' the property was supposed to take title before selling, but the paperwork can be a hassle and they may skip it, believing the difference in value between titled and untitled is not worth their effort.

Your state DMV will have a process where you can apply for title to a vehicle abandoned on your property, lots of paperwork and fees and maybe even a bond, they try to contact the last registered owner to come claim it or forfeit ownership in 30 days. They are trying to make sure its not stolen property, and you can't blame them. If your bike got stolen, you'd want the other DMVs to watch out for the vin number in hopes of catching the thief and getting your bike back.

There are other strategies you can find with a google search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can register an untitled bike through the state of Vermont dmv (via mail) as long as the vin is clean and it’s over 15 years old OR under 300cc.
All you do is fill out their form and send them a bill of sale (unnotorized.)
How do I know this? I just did it and got a liscence plate and registration in the mail 10 days later. Cost me 81 bucks.

Eventually you can take this registration to your own states dmv and turn it into a clean title. They’ll be leery at first but you’ll have to remind them to look up Vermont’s states laws concerning motorcycles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my frame with a certified title and I also did a vin number check on it to make sure it wasn't in wreck or stolen or salvaged. Cost me $1.50 to run a check on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
frame swap

I got my frame with a certified title and I also did a vin number check on it to make sure it wasn't in wreck or stolen or salvaged. Cost me $1.50 to run a check on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Engine update diamond cutting.

OK guys I have decided to diamond cut everything and I mean everything. This is the cylinder head.I will do the jug fins next.Then I'm also making designs the the clutch and stator covers and the engine halves too plenty of bling bling.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
That sure adds some bling to engine

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Diamond cutting I went crazy!

Hope it's not too much I detailed around the spark plug areas. The dremel tips are only $5.00 each I bought 2 the first one isn't even worn yet so they both should be enough to do everything. The motorcycles frame will be silver and the tank and fenders gloss black.So the diamond cutting should look cool.I'll do the juggs next when done I'll share it with you guys I appreciate the come backs you dudes give me drive to do this stuff.I suffer from real bad depression so I have to keep myself busy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
If I send you a set of case covers and an engine, would polishing them be therapy? Always looking for ways to help others. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm concerned to hear about your depression. Have you seen a doctor about it? I have a daughter with the same issue, and it took a while, but she eventually found the right combination of medicines to keep her out of the dumps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diamond cutting juggs are done.

Juggs are done,I am OK not to worry.I'm doing the frame bolts oil drain bolt and I'm making a design going down the frame. Looks almost like Navaho jewelry? My wife says it's too much?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Well, its not to my taste, but this kind of thing is all a matter of taste. There is no right answer. If you like it, go for it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts