Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Rebel 450
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I bought a rebel 450. It’s my second one. Sold my first one back in 2011… had a few bikes since then. Anyway I plan on changing the oil. So far I’m looking to buy the k&n filter # KN111 and Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle oil non synthetic. I also plan on running irridium ngk plugs.
Any exceptions to these choices?

Another question: what is the plug on the side of the engine for? The gears and clutch is lubricated by the engine oil correct? So just wondering what the plug on the side of the engine is for?
Thanks.
Automotive tire Tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1982 CM250C, CM450C, CB450SC, GL500i, GL1100i & many others
18 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Motorcycle 10W40 in all my bikes from the '64 twins to my 82 Silverwing and Goldwings. I have also used the Valvoline Synthetic Motorcycle 10W40 oil as well. Both seem to do quite well no matter the motor size or operating temperature. All of my Hondas have 10W40 stamped on engine case for about 3 decades, at least. Don't use Automotive Synthetic, or the wet clutches will slip, ask me how I know, lol! I see some folks use 20W50 Castrol in small air-cooled bike engines, but I would not recommend that, either. I knew of one person that scored a piston from lack of oil flow in cold weather doing that (me also). I can also tell you an easy way to laser a hole in the top of a 2-stroke piston at 100 mph, lol!

·
Registered
86 Rebel 450
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! I’ve been working on my sportster and triumph and they both have had primary oil besides the engine oil. I wasn’t sure about this rebel and couldn’t find anyone mentioning that plug lol. Thank you for posting the adjustment procedure. I will get the mobile 1 10w-40!

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
SK, this says balancer chain, does that mean chain balancer? My chain was very, very loose from when I bought it. I just tightened it, should I mess with that balancer?
"The dual shaft balancer eliminates high frequency vibration on large-displacement, high horsepower motorcycles." "As a piston reaches TDC, its corresponding two balancer weights are at their BDC, working to offset the weight and resulting vibration. Together, these two balance shafts minimize the effects of the engine's vibration at high rpm, offering a smoother ride." quoted from Honda Common Service Manual 2004

These two shafts are interconnected via a chain.. Counter weights are half circles of steel that is part of the chain driven gears..
Font Motor vehicle Line Automotive exterior Auto part

Counter balance shafts are very common on Nissan/Datsun, Honda, Toyota automobile engines too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts