Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
thanks for the help with getting the valve cover off I was able to get it off easily this time here’s a YouTube video of what I have and how I tightened the chain or lack there of I guess I need you guys to tell me if it’s good or not. I see using the voice text feature doesn’t add any periods into your settings

· Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
116 Posts
It seems that the unusual play in the clutch hub is the noise you are looking for.

The central nut oft the hub should be tightened and secured again.

Reactions: B40dash8

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I will tighten it and see what happens. Have to make a socket for it first. Not sure that is the problem though. A friend took his cover off his spare engine and it also had the same play in it. Mine seems more though but still not sure

· Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
116 Posts
At first you have to dissasamble the clutchplates ... and yes it´s a special tool you need.

Or,you can go creative. To hold the hub you can jam an old t-shirt into the teeth of the primary-drive sprockets.
To loosen and tighten the central nut, a long and sturdy screwdriver comes handy & (this time) a medium sized hammer does the job.
Best use both, locktite.medium strength and the securing washer to make shure it´s fastenet.

This would be the tool you need.

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
well I’ve tried what I could. Upon further inspection of the new oil I drained from the engine before taking off the clutch cover side cover it’s filled with metal flakes. I don’t know if it’s crank related or top end piston related. I also ran the bike for a few seconds with the covers off to maybe get a better sound of the knocking but nope. Not any better than if the covers were on. Still can’t pin point the sound. Don’t crucify me for doing that. Then I noticed the neutral light and oil light do not illuminate anymore since doing that. I checked the fuse box by the handlebars and all the fuses are good. So now There’s that problem. Feeling very defeated right now. A 37 year old beginner bike has really brought down my spirits. Maybe I’ll stick with my Harley sportster. I have no idea if I want to have someone rebuild this engine and not even know if it’s getting correct oil circulation and have the same problem happen again. I really don’t know

· Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
503 Posts
If i were in your predicament i would be looking for a parts bike. A little harder for the 450 and you may have to drive a bit but could be worth it. one in VT for $400 on facebook market. Also there may be other 450 engines that fit- like the cm models. If you pay someone to do a rebuild it may cost more than the bikes value….whatever you decide i hope you have a good result:)

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Yes exactly what I was thinking. If I can get a good price from a co worker it might be worth it. I’m sure a shop will charge close to 1k being their rate is 109 an hour and that was just one shop. I was also thinking of doing it myself but I seriously wouldn’t know what to look for or verify when I have it tore apart. I was also thinking of maybe finding another bike. Using that engine and swapping good parts for bad parts, making a good bike for myself and selling the other one as a parts bike. So There’s options. Or just sell this thing bite the bullet and just ride my sportster and be done with it lol. I would really like to do the work myself but there really are no YouTube videos on it. The only YouTube vids I found on the rebel 450 engine is (just my luck) in Spanish. And I don’t speak Spanish. I see a few for sale within 4 hours of me but these people are asking 1800-3000. 2k and over is insane for a 450. That’s Harley prices.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
The only YouTube vids I found on the rebel 450 engine is (just my luck) in Spanish. And I don’t speak Spanish. I see a few for sale within 4 hours of me but these people are asking 1800-3000. 2k and over is insane for a 450. That’s Harley prices.
It all depends upon where you live. NY. NY. Yup, H(igh)D(ollar) prices are to be expected. Up New Hampshire way, they're much cheaper. Here in Ohio, around $10-1500 is what I've seen parts CMX450s at.
As always location × 3.

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The plugs look good. Could be alittle lean. But the knocking is definitely coming from the engine. I also had glitter in the fresh Oil I drained out. Filter was clean though. Whatever glitter it is. It wasn’t sticking to a magnet. Pondering if I should remove the cylinders and head to see if Ican see anything else. I just have never done it before. Not sure if anything special has to be set before removing the cam. Also going to call around to shops around here to see how much work like this would run. Couple guys at work said they may be able to do it but one guy is just a Harley guy. Another is a all around mechanic of everything.

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I was able to get a better video of this clacking/knocking sound. Still haven’t figured it out. I can hear it from the bottom of the engine to the top of the valve cover. 😩

· Registered
1986 Rebel 450
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Thanks. Waiting for a guy at work to get back to about working on it. There are shops Yes But I have to call tomorrow. I hear everyone is loaded up with work. The shops around here are 100 and over an hour. By the time it gets fixed it will probably be worth more than the bike is worth or more than I paid for the bike but I really don’t know. I want to try and tackle the problem myself but have no experience with motorcycle engines. Not many if any YouTube vids on this engine. A few cm400 videos but most of them are in Spanish. A lot of cb360 vids but that engine is pretty different

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
Have you had a look at the oil filter?

personally I wouldn't attempt 450 engine rebuild as each was custom made.
I would need a machinist to size the bearings as there were 5 different crank and 5 different connecting rod stock bearing sizes none of which are available any more..
certainly wouldn't trust shop technicians that only learned parts R&R.
Photograph White Black Font Line

Reactions: B40dash8

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
That is why I ask what the oil filter looks like..
should be able to determine what the metal is within reason and how bad it's become..

41 - 60 of 88 Posts