Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Rebel 250
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently rebuilt the clutch on my ‘09 Rebel and while doing so, I lost the Oil Through Spring. Luckily my buddy had a case of assorted compression springs and we found one to put on that fit on the Oil Through for the time being until the OEM arrives in the mail. Now the joke seems to be running fine, but I have noticed that the right and left crankcase covers seemed to get really hot while riding, enough that I’m feeling the heat through my jeans and boots. Idk if this is normal, but it they didn’t seem to get that hot before. They get hot enough to burn if touched bare handed. Am I just being paranoid? Could it be the spring I’m using temporarily is not closing the gap between the oil through and the right crankcase cover oil passage when the engine is running? When I shine a light in through the oil filler hole I can see that the oil through is being pushed up against the crankcase cover and there doesn’t seem to be a gap when the engine is off.

As always, any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
96 Posts
I would not advise running without the oem spring in place and installed properly. There are places where you can use non oem parts, but almost never inside of the engine, unless they are specifically made for that engine. In that case, some of them will be better than oem, and some of them won't be as good. I put an aftermarket clutch in my CRF230L, and it is better than oem. I just found out that my recently purchased 2002 Sportster 883 has a bad clutch (from the factory) which hasn't failed yet, I have quit riding it until the aftermarket parts show up to fix it. I highly recommend waiting for the correct part.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Rebel 250
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not advise running without the oem spring in place and installed properly. There are places where you can use non oem parts, but almost never inside of the engine, unless they are specifically made for that engine. In that case, some of them will be better than oem, and some of them won't be as good. I put an aftermarket clutch in my CRF230L, and it is better than oem. I just found out that my recently purchased 2002 Sportster 883 has a bad clutch (from the factory) which hasn't failed yet, I have quit riding it until the aftermarket parts show up to fix it. I highly recommend waiting for the correct part.
Alright. That seems like a valid statement. But that didn’t answer my question. Is it normal for the crankcase covers to get that hot.

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Is it normal for the crankcase covers to get that hot.
Mine get hot enough I can't hold my bare hand against them (at least the right side), but I don't really notice the heat through my pants and boots. If this is something you just noticed, I would suspect it could be due to the recent repairs.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
96 Posts
Right now it is well over 100 degrees F where I live. The Rebel runs so hot that the engine burned my leg right through my jeans. While that may be normal, it is certainly not good for the engine. I have 20w50 synthetic motorcycle oil in it, full to the top line. The pilot screw has been turned out as far as it will go and still run ok. I may look into rejetting the carb. A richer air/fuel mixture will cool it down some. I'm sure it has the stock jets, which are going to be too lean. I probably need a liquid cooled bike for weather like this. But I definitely do not recommend running any engine that is not proper assembled with the correct parts.

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
The faster an air cooled engine travels, the cooler it will be. Extremely hot environments aren't the best for such engines, but I'm not sure it would cause premature engine damage/wear. Extended idling could be a problem in such heat though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts