Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Rebel 250 and have been riding it a few miles each day. I had taken it about 4 miles to the library and after a few hours I got back on. It started up nicely, but when placed into first gear the engine died suddenly.
That is basically the problem. The engine starts up seemingly very well, and remains running. But When it is placed into 1st gear (or second) the engine dies right away. And yes I make sure the kickstand is up, the clutch, and brake are engaged, and it has been warmed up properly. Any ideas?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yep, just because the kickstand is up doesn't mean the switch is activating correctly. Could be not aligned right or switch is bad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
+1 what he said.

I'm not at home to be able to look a the gauge cluster to see if there is a sidestand indicator light or not. If there is one, check to see that the light is going out when you raise the sidestand.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
If you find you have a bad switch, I have one that I can part with...

·
Registered
508 Posts
My '03 doesn't have a light for the kickstand....done that a few times, put it in gear and it dies....wtf....oh, duh!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Shadow has a bad kill switch so my wife uses the kickstand to turn off the bike.

Reactions: deere245

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
Sometimes the plunger on the switch gets gunked with road grime and doesn't fully extend when the sidestand is raised. Cleaning and lubricating with a non greasy lubricant such as spray silicone or dry wax will fix the problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Those sidestand and clutch switches can be problematic, mainly due to corrosion. Sometimes they can be cleaned, or you can replace them, or you can just remove them and jumper the wires. But if you do that, you are going to have to remember to put the sidestand up before you take off, and make sure it is in neutral or the clutch is pulled in before starting it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what switch what my bike is having the exact problem and I have no switch i can see or find.. and my kickstand can be up or down and it use to still go from natural to 1st but now it just dies..
can someone tell me where this switch is and what I'm looking for.. i have a 2004 honda rebel 250.
thanks for letting me piggy back on your post..

·
Registered
3 Posts
bike dies when trying to switch from neutral to 1st gear

HELP!!!.. I just changed my front break pads and now when I start up my 2004 honda rebel 250 and try to go from neutral to 1st gear it just dies...

I've read about some kind of switch?? where is this switch..
I've read about a kick stand triggering the switch.. I looked all it is is a kick stand... I use to be able to switch gears between neutral and 1st gear with or with the kick stand down. now either way it dies if I switch from neutral to 1st gear.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
Look at the top of the sidestand where there is a circular cover over the pivot point. There are two wires that join in a connector that plugs into the top of the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
okay.. thank you!!! I will take a look and see so strange.. all i did was change my front break pads and now my bike dies on me.. so sad...

but thank you for the quick response..

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
I merged your two posts. Please don't post multiple times on the same question. It's also possible that the clutch switch connection is loose. To find it, look where the clutch lever is attached to its mount. There are two wires that go on two spade connections in the mount. Be sure everything is corrosion free and snug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello folks. New to this forum. Read a lot on subject. 2006 250 Rebel dies when engaging 1st. I checked function of both the clutch lever and kick stand switch and both appear to be OK. In order to verify this can I jump both the same way by connecting the two wires (jumper) for each switch? I see other discussion about sticking clutch but bike does not appear to be sticking. Checked this by rolling bike around in any gear with clutch pulled in. What may I be missing?

Thanks,
Dick

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Jumping the kick stand switch will kill the engine. However, you can take a look at the kick stand switch wiring. There is a clamp for the wire which is held on by one of the engine case cover bolts. If the clamp is not held while tightening the bolt, there is a chance that the clamp will cut into the wiring and ground out the switch, killing the engine once put into gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts