Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds and looks like a blockage in the idle circuit.
Might also be the accel pump output is blocked. i tried putting a syringe into the tiny hole and nothing. i tried using my mouth to get a good seal and try to get water through but nothing (The small brass thing where the air intake is, not the actual accel pump part on the float bowl

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
imo carb isn't clean
fully disassemble and soak metal parts for a week in carb dip rotating body at least once a day to purge trapped air..
30 minutes or less in ultrasonic cleaner is another method though it may take more than one session..

After watching video several times I'd guess the vacuum piston isn't rising as it should thus the main jet in conjunction with needle jet aren't able to enrichen the fuel mixture. Piston should move freely up and down without any binding.
inspect rubber diaphragm for splits. assure diaphragm is properly seated when attaching top cover.
Sleeve Font Helmet Breastplate Happy

I would expect somewhat better operation when you slowly open the throttle which leads me to speculate idle circuit isn't clean.
Pilot/AF screw primarily influences idle circuit while your video indicates throttle often opening at least 1/2 way to full throttle position where AF screw has little influence.
Slope Plot Rectangle Font Parallel

I have no cure for clogged accelerator nozzle other than soaking which may not dissolve the blockage.

What are the cylinder compression readings?
Carb cant work properly if pistons don't suck as they should.
there comes a time to grab at straws, eliminate all possibilities.

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imo carb isn't clean
fully disassemble and soak metal parts for a week in carb dip rotating body at least once a day to purge trapped air..
30 minutes or less in ultrasonic cleaner is another method though it may take more than one session..

After watching video several times I'd guess the vacuum piston isn't rising as it should thus the main jet in conjunction with needle jet aren't able to enrichen the fuel mixture. Piston should move freely up and down without any binding.
inspect rubber diaphragm for splits. assure diaphragm is properly seated when attaching top cover.
View attachment 115739

I would expect somewhat better operation when you slowly open the throttle which leads me to speculate idle circuit isn't clean.
Pilot/AF screw primarily influences idle circuit while your video indicates throttle often opening at least 1/2 way to full throttle position where AF screw has little influence.
View attachment 115740

I have no cure for clogged accelerator nozzle other than soaking which may not dissolve the blockage.

What are the cylinder compression readings?
Carb cant work properly if pistons don't suck as they should.
there comes a time to grab at straws, eliminate all possibilities.
Cleaned with carb spray countless times and vacuum piston is rising fine. it can go to high rpm its just iffy

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
spray is great for washing road grime off outside, has little effect on varnish buildup left inside passageways..

· Registered
2005 Rebel 250
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If ultrasonic/chem dip wont work. i have 1 last method. i forgot what forum it was but some guy had an accelerator pump nozzle blocked and fixed it via a soldering iron and burning it out

· Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,762 Posts
Thought of that, but don't tend to suggest remedies I might try but have not preformed.
my idea is slightly different as to heat source..

clogged accelerator nozzle isn't the only problem with carb as indicated in the video

· Registered
VTX 1800, Rebel 250's and 450's, CB1300
516 Posts
If ultrasonic/chem dip wont work. i have 1 last method. i forgot what forum it was but some guy had an accelerator pump nozzle blocked and fixed it via a soldering iron and burning it out
Could have been me. I found a few that were blocked and successfully opened them again.

· Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,806 Posts
Nope.
It's Rebel only here.

Or VTX 1800...

Or CB1300......

Monley clone, VFR 750.

The end.
Oh, the pause....

I used to work with a guy who would answer the call on the radio up to half an hour after being summoned. Interesting guy to be sure. I'd ignore the time that I waited, (I was busy doing other things), & answer as if no time had transpired at all.
Never get irritated. Then they're in control of you.

P.S. It wasn't me, but I do have a, soon to be sold, GW. The Rebels are all that I need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts