Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these accessory LED lights for additional illumination/visibility. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Headlight-Spot-Fog-Lights-Front-Head-Lamp-6-LED-12V-85V-2x-Offroad/302549307390?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I wired them with the headlight so they don't come on when the start button is pushed. Riding home the other night, I noticed the left light was flashing regularly, as if it was on a modulator. the flashing was constant, and didn't vary with engine speed. When I got home, I discovered that every time the engine is turned off, the next time it is started, the other light will modulate. The following time, neither will modulate. When started once more, the left light modulates, and so on. Anyone have an explanation for this?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like you were sold something intended for a flashlight application. I have one that cycles each time you turn it on between bright/med/dim/SOS/flash.

I also purchased some 'spot' lights from elsewhere and they turned out to flash, cycle bright/dark 3 times, go solid for 5 seconds and repeat! Not as advertised.

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, but they were sold as motorbike spot/fog lights (see add) and come with a 10mm mount that swivels so they can be fitted under the mirror stems and adjusted left, right, up, and down. I remember testing them on a battery before mounting them, and I didn't notice any flashing at the time, but that could be due to it being daylight and IIRC, only contacting the battery leads once.

If I hadn't already soldered the wires, I could test them easily enough on another battery.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is it safe to assume both lights are using the same power point and ground?

I am guessing they were packaged incorrectly and are not spot / fog lights. Still kind of odd that they alternate like a school bus.

I know it is a slight hassle but could you disconnect the bikes battery and then use a second battery to test the lights at various connection points?

I have used a safety pin to puncture wires in order to get a test point when no other point was available.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Has me buffaloed ~ throw the kill switch so she doesn't start..
crank for a second, stop, observe lamps output, crank again, stop, repeat to see if flashing pattern is dependent on sequence they are energized without alternator/regulator operating..
or does the flashing change each time the ignition switch cycled on off on?
with an Input Voltage:12V-85V DC there are some internal electronics

have used multiple voltage LED fixtures in my MH for years.. one started flashing after about 5 years 24/7 use, isn't consistent pattern though..

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it safe to assume both lights are using the same power point and ground?

yes, they are.

I am guessing they were packaged incorrectly and are not spot / fog lights. Still kind of odd that they alternate like a school bus.

I know it is a slight hassle but could you disconnect the bikes battery and then use a second battery to test the lights at various connection points?

I have used a safety pin to puncture wires in order to get a test point when no other point was available.
I'm not that curious.

Has me buffaloed ~ throw the kill switch so she doesn't start..
crank for a second, stop, observe lamps output, crank again, stop, repeat to see if flashing pattern is dependent on sequence they are energized without alternator/regulator operating..
or does the flashing change each time the ignition switch cycled on off on?
with an Input Voltage:12V-85V DC there are some internal electronics

have used multiple voltage LED fixtures in my MH for years.. one started flashing after about 5 years 24/7 use, isn't consistent pattern though..
Well, that's weird. Hit the kill switch and turned key on. All lights normal (no flashing). Repeat, same results. Did it a third time, and both auxiliary lights flash in unison, which it wasn't doing before. Repeated the entire process with exactly the same results.

·
Registered
115 Posts
very odd.

Wonder what voltage difference you have between engine running and engine off.

Is it possible your bike doesn't have enough current to run the new lights AND the ignition?

I do enjoy buying direct from China. Never quite know what they will actually ship. Sort of like a grab bag. It is always close to what you order. :)Translating the Chinglish is very entertaining as well.

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I rode it tonight, and it was consistent with what it did with the run switch off.

Since I have a Beamtech LED headlight, I assume there is sufficient electrical output. Beams don't dim or brighten with increased rpms.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think you are ok on the wattage consumption
Beamtech LED headlight looks to be 50 watts 10 watts less than oem headlight on high.
Ad states Actual power: 10W so you have increased max usage by 10 watts having installed 2.

Must have some type of modulator circuit as on some cycle headlights is my bet..

·
Super Moderator
29,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's my best guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts