I was born in a house with no electricity or running water. We used kerosene lamps for lighting, wood stove, saw dust stove, or kerosene stove for cooking. Water carrier brought water from a well, I remember cleaning glass chimneys of kerosene lamps.In 45 years the first time we suffered power loss was in July 2010 for about 5 hours. The second time was probably for an hour so, while we were away at the local Harbor Freight. The longest was in Feb of 2018 or 19 when we had no power for 5 days. Today, we were without power for about 8 hour.
With this limited data, I feel outage is becoming more frequent. It's becoming worse, Maybe power companies don't allocate as much finds for maintenance as local power grids get older. We never lost power for more than a few minutes where were in Delhi although power outages were quite common, more so than here. We were just lucky.
I would prefer a natural gas generator but my gas lines are on the opposite side of the house from the a.c. mains panel. The garage is on the mains panel side. I plan to store my generator in the garage when it's not being used. It's easier to have the power inlet just outside the garage so that I can just wheel the generator out when I need to use it.