Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2001 Rebel 250 with 2673 miles for $250 from a co-worker a couple of weeks ago, and this forum has really helped me get it back in working order. I named it El Bandito because I practically stole it. The tank was rusty, the carb was stuck, and the battery was dead. Luckily it was kept out of the weather. Today I put 10 miles on it in a parking lot getting used to it. All I really need to do now is replace these old tires! That is unless you guys have other advice!

·
Super Moderator
29,638 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The best advice I can offer any new rider is to take a basic riding course, such as those offered in virtually every state by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). Professionally taught riders have fewer, less severe, crashes than self/friend/family taught riders. Like many riders that couldn't wait to get in the saddle, I taught myself some bad habits because I couldn't wait a couple of months for my MSF class to begin. It took a long time to unlearn those habits. After the training, read David Hough's books, Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling. Then read them again in six months. You'll be surprised to find how much more you learn in subsequent readings.

·
Super Moderator
3,868 Posts
replace those tires

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replace those tires
I am only practicing in the parking lot next door until I do get them replaced. No higher speeds yet. I've been doing tires longer than my bike has existed, so I'm fully aware of their condition. But thank you for the concern.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. The best advice I can offer any new rider is to take a basic riding course, such as those offered in virtually every state by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). Professionally taught riders have fewer, less severe, crashes than self/friend/family taught riders. Like many riders that couldn't wait to get in the saddle, I taught myself some bad habits because I couldn't wait a couple of months for my MSF class to begin. It took a long time to unlearn those habits. After the training, read David Hough's books, Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling. Then read them again in six months. You'll be surprised to find how much more you learn in subsequent readings.
May I ask what habits in particular?

·
Super Moderator
29,638 Posts
Think the biggest ones were using the rear brake to slow down in a curve, and not looking where I wanted to go (target fixation).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts