Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 rebel 250 and I'm replacing the front brake pads and was wondering if I should check the rear brake drums to see if the rear brake shoes need replacing if they do are they a pain to change thank you

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I typically get one rear set with my second front set. How many miles are on the bike? There's a wear indicator on the drum pivot arm, have you checked that?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts
I have a 86 rebel 250 and I'm replacing the front brake pads and was wondering if I should check the rear brake drums to see if the rear brake shoes need replacing if they do are they a pain to change thank you
hardest part is getting the back wheel off and replacing it - the brake shoes are quite easy - at 25k miles you could either desperately need new shoes or not - or anywhere in between - how many miles have you put on this bike? how long have you owned it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive put on maybe 20 miles I registered it and took it for inspection and they failed it for the front pads being gone I didn't have any problems stopping the bike while driving seems like rear brakes are there I'll have to look more Tommow when I get out of work

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
As you step on brake the arrow on tab should Not pass diamond.. closer the arrow to diamond the more worn... mine is a good 1/2 inch away when brake depressed...

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Have you adjusted the rod between the pedal and brake drum?

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,875 Posts
Other than what flitecontrol just said, are you sure that you connected everything back up?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
yes i adjusted the brakes still no good brakes
did you align brake Cam and Arm punch marks?
Run the adjusting nut up until the wheel stops rotating or shoes make contact than back off a couple of rotations..
Photograph White Font Line Automotive tire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts