Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
How often should the air box/seperator be disassembled & cleaned?
There is no interval specified in the manual other than to drain the tube every oil change. Since the second generation doesn't have the element like the first generation does, you most like would not need to disassemble and clean it out as long as it has been regularly drained.

·
Premium Member
17,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You guys with second gen Rebels should never need to pull the separator for cleaning. No element in the second gen to clean.

Reactions: rickybug

·
Registered
431 Posts
Glad I asked how often to clean puke tubes, I just changed oil and did nothing to it.
Will be sure to drain it. Thanks again everyonem

·
Super Moderator
31,738 Posts
If you do a lot of high speed riding, and riding in the rain, it should be cleaned more often.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ok, I'm going to show my newbie side. Does the cap on the drain/puke tube, unscrew or just pull out like it says, "a plug"?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes indeed! I'm so happy I bought this Rebel. Was worried at first, 16,000 miles. But it was well cared for obviously. I figured it was broke in properly. Lol. Turns out it was too.

·
Premium Member
17,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes.

So what should be done? I've seen where some are just throwing a mini air filter in place of all the tubing where the line comes out of the crankcase.. Been searching for details on removing the air box and what to do with the vacuum lines that come off of it and lead to it.

·
Premium Member
17,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The problem with a pod filter on the breather is it can clog easily. Crankcase pressure builds up and the seal on the crankshaft pops.
Running unfiltered means an increased risk of dirt and grit getting in to the crankcase.
It is possible to run the breather setup with an after market set up. Check out how bvillerebel did his http://www.hondarebelforum.com/f18/1-in-vermillion-7004.html

21 - 40 of 80 Posts