Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
brake cleaner works or just wipe down pivot shaft
yes, just squeeze grease into roller bearing using finger pressure, be sure to allow time for cleaner to evaporate..
Thank you sir!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have to say, I am no "mechanic", I dislike working on my car (but like the pay off of saving money doing it myself). However, I really am ENJOYING working on my bike, as much as riding it. Its the little things really. These steps are very basic, but still worth learning and I have to say just doing this myself (with the help of this forum), I feel a sense of accomplishment. I stayed up 3 hours later than usual as I was working on my bike doing all the above. I cant wait to ride it though, but in my garage, the feeling of the shifting is much better.

Here are some pictures of the left side, with the right sprocket cover removed. Wow, its surely got dirty from what appears to have been previous chain lube jobs.

I wiped clean the gear shaft. I tried to get the gunk to the left casing that protects the chain, but I will do that next time when I clean and lube the chain.

Also, here is the cover, wow!

And now its clean and lubed.

Some questions:
1. I noticed what looked like "clean" lube on the end of the spline where the gear shift connects. Should I keep a little dab of lube there just to allow for the gear shift to go on and off?

2. Also, on the underside of the cover, there are 2 bolts attaching some sort of cover for something else. What is this? (you can see one of those bolts and part of that cover in my second picture above)

3. I didnt see any torque values for the foot peg bolts or even the sprocket cover in the service manual. So I just snugged them up really good. Or is there a better way?

4. when I did snug up the bottom cover bolt and wire clipped, I didnt realize that clip started to turn and turn into that large cable. I did not cut the cable, thankfully as I saw this before turning further, but it was close. What is that cable anyway, seems to be the electrical from the ignition to battery, right?

5. I noticed what appears to be another needle bearing where the gear shift spindle goes into the right side of the bike. Does that need to be cleaned and lubed? (I think that right side is much more complex and may be above my skill. Is there any simple, clean and lube that needs to be done on the right side?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
30,193 Posts
1. Won't hurt to grease the splines, just to protect against rust.

2. Honda calls it a plate. I'm not sure what purpose it serves. 2009 Honda CMX250C A LEFT REAR CRANKCASE COVER | Cheap Cycle Parts

3. Lightly snug is good, don't want to pull the threads in aluminum. Suggest you use blue thread locker to reduce chance of screws vibrating loose.

4. Pretty sure that's the stator cable.

5. Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but any bearings on the right side should be lubricated by engine oil.

·
Registered
58 Posts
5. Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but any bearings on the right side should be lubricated by engine oil.
In my first picture, if you follow the gear shaft you can see it go into what appears to the inside of the gear box that would be on the right side of the box. If I look closer at the picture it almost Appears to be another needle bearing (I could be wrong) and was just thinking if that part needed to be cleaned and lubed.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
In my first picture, if you follow the gear shaft you can see it go into what appears to the inside of the gear box that would be on the right side of the box. If I look closer at the picture it almost Appears to be another needle bearing (I could be wrong) and was just thinking if that part needed to be cleaned and lubed.

View attachment 110355
that is an engine oil seal there LEAVE it ALONE or else you may develop an engine oil leak..

The Cable you mention is positive battery cable from starter relay to starter.. Use care you don't penetrate insulating covering..

·
Super Moderator
30,193 Posts
I would expect needle bearings behind the shaft oil seal, but there is also engine oil. So no need to lubricate them

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you both @SoakedKarma and @flitecontrol for all your help. Very much appreciated. I wish I could shake your hand to thank you or buy you a cold beverage or 2 of your choice!

·
Super Moderator
30,193 Posts
I like big strawberry shakes!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would like to provide an update.
My recently purchased 2008 8700 mile Rebel (my first bike) was just fatiguing after shifting during my ride. My left foot began to hurt (I have timberland boots). At first I thought I just need to get used to it, but it just didnt seem right. Then while adjusting the gear shifter to my liking it just seemed really hard, especially from 1st to 2nd. I have learned that shift requires more travel, but it was rather hard sometimes.

Now that I have cleaned and lubricated the 3 points mentioned above. The shifting is like butter! Yes, It shift so easy and in the position of my liking (actually any position works just fine)!

On a difficulty scale of 1 (easy) to 10 (hard) the areas to clean and lubricate I would say this is on a 3. It does require some minimal tools and a little patience and elbow grease if its as dirty as mine is, but its really a job anyone can and should do to keep things operating properly on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
30,193 Posts
Glad it was that easy to fix. Many have been dubious about a simple cleaning and lubrication fixing shifting problems, but most that did it report results similar to yours.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts