Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend my bike started acting up. All of a sudden the bike would not shift properly. It was particularly difficult to get into first and neutral. I was beginning to think that I was in for some serious repairs. Then I remembered something that someone posted on this forum about lubing the shift linkage and where shaft exits the case. I had an aerosol can of "Corrosion Stop" a wax based penetrant and corrosion inhibitor handy. I gave those areas a quick shot and ran the shifter through the gears a couple of times. Wow, it now shifts smooth as silk.

I owe someone a big thanks.
Now that the problem was resolved, what is the best lubricant for the job?

Randy

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
I use wheel bearing grease because it lasts quite a while between cleaning/lube cycles. However, it does hold grit.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
The shifter lever is mounted on a plain steel "bolt" . The plain steel sleeve that pivots on this "bolt" can become totally dry of grease to the point where the lever will not return to the normal position after shifting. The only way to properly grease this pivot joint is to remove the lever and pack the bearing with axle grease. The "bolt" has a groove in the center for the purpose of holding this grease.
If your shifter action is sticky, Don't forget to grease the shifter lever itself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I need to revise this old thread. Can someone post a picture of the gear linkage and circle or point out all the areas that need the lubrication? Also what kind of lubrication? (I can do things mechanically but I have not done many mechanical things...so I am very new at some of this.).

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
These are the lubrication points; the post/bolt (varies by generation) the shifter rotates on, under the boots on each end of the adjustment rod, and the needle bearings in the cover the shift shaft goes through. Clean all these points and lube with general purpose grease. Sorry, I'm not technologically gifted enough to provide a diagram. In your other post about adjusting the linkage, look at the diagram and see where things move around others. That's what needs to be lubed.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
I'm of the mind Any Lube is better than none..

A couple often missed, Shift Peddle & Side Stand Pivot
Sometimes 3in1 oil is the better part of valor

Honda didn't indicate lube for shifter adjustment rod ball joints or the gearshift spindle side cover roller bearing ..
If it moves Lube it..

·
Registered
57 Posts
These are the lubrication points; the post/bolt (varies by generation) the shifter rotates on, under the boots on each end of the adjustment rod, and the needle bearings in the cover the shift shaft goes through. Clean all these points and lube with general purpose grease. Sorry, I'm not technologically gifted enough to provide a diagram. In your other post about adjusting the linkage, look at the diagram and see where things move around others. That's what needs to be lubed.
At these locations?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
2nd Gen Rebel used a shouldered bolt for shift pivot as in @kezug 's image..
1st Gen pivot shaft is welded into place, center drilled and threaded for retaining bolt and washer
dang bolt can become frozen and shear if one isn't careful

·
Registered
57 Posts
SoakedKarma - do I have all the correct "grease" locations pointed out for my 2nd generation Rebel?

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
Yes, except the top arrow in the middle picture and the bottom picture are essentially the same. Remove splined end from shifter shaft (appears red in last picture), remove yellow cover, and clean/grease the needle bearings inside the cover.

Reactions: kezug

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, except the top arrow in the middle picture and the bottom picture are essentially the same. Remove splined end from shifter shaft (appears red in last picture), remove yellow cover, and clean/grease the needle bearings inside the cover.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
That's what we're here for.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
You won't find a reference or part number for roller bearing in Left Rear crankcase cover
At least I haven't,, Anyone else??

·
Super Moderator
30,195 Posts
The needle bearings are integral in the cover. You'd need a whole new cover to replace them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will show my lack of knowledge but I am eager to ask/learn: For these locations mentioned to be cleaned and lubed:
  1. the post/bolt (varies by generation) the shifter rotates on
  2. under the boots on each end of the adjustment rod
  3. and the needle bearings in the cover the shift shaft goes through.

Do I use axle grease or just general purpose grease? I have seen a reference to both above and wanted to be certain.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
I will show my lack of knowledge but I am eager to ask/learn: For these locations mentioned to be cleaned and lubed:

Do I use axle grease or just general purpose grease? I have seen a reference to both above and wanted to be certain.
I'm rather partial to White Lithium grease that can come in small tubes for this type of application.. But if you have high speed/temp Bearing grease that would work just as well..
than again I'm lazy and apply a few drops of 3in1 oil to shifter pivot and externally to shifter shaft roller bearing from time to time..

for your future reference

·
Registered
57 Posts
My neighbor had this. Which can I use for each of the following?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
either one will work fine.. easier to get a dab out of short can imo

·
Registered
57 Posts
So for cleaning, I can wipe off the existing grease, then spray brake cleaner onto the areas where grease still exists, included onto/into the needle bearing, then wipe. Repeat until fully cleaned?

For greasing, I just use finger to wipe grease onto the areas and for the needle bearing just wipe into the rollers, and continue until it feels plenty lubed?
Also, the needle bearing doesn't come out of the cover, right?

Sorry for these newbie questions. My Dad passed away 13 years ago, he was an auto mechanic of 40+ years. I should have helped him more to learn more and I feel so lost without him. Wish he was here to help me with my bike.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,904 Posts
brake cleaner works or just wipe down pivot shaft
yes, just squeeze grease into roller bearing using finger pressure, be sure to allow time for cleaner to evaporate..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts