Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
that is a second year bike, they made the 250 from 85'-16', with a few years skipped. $1500 is a good price for one with 8k miles just make sure it was regularly serviced; oil changed every 1k miles because 250's dont have oil filters, valves every 4k, fork seals arent shot, etc. You said this is a first bike, personally id look for a newer bike just because of that bikes age. I am rebuilding a 86' 450 from the ground up and most of the rubber bits on mine has gone to crap so if you decide to go with that one make sure its all still soft/plyable. As a first bike I wouldnt want to have to redo fuel system, brakes, forks etc. Id want to ride (why I bought my 02' mostly sorted). but if its close enough to you check it out, Ive seen some older bikes that were very well preserved (mostly owned by older folk). Personally, I wouldnt buy it if it needs work unless you can get it cheap enough (like 1k-1250 and thats assuming you have tools to work on it). you could find (if you wait) a newer 250 with 5k or less miles, completely sorted for between 1250-1750 depending on cosmetic condition. I paid 1450 for my 02 with just under 5k miles and all it needed was a front tire, fork seals and a chain. good luck :)

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
KBB.com is pretty accurate with their motorcycle values. You wouldn't expect to pay as much from a private seller as you would a dealer. I figure a bike is worth somewhere between the trade in and retail prices. If they are asking $1,300, they would probably take less. I like to put the amount of money I'm going to offer in one pocket, and pull it out when making my offer. I put more money, enough to take the total to the asking price, in another. Often, the sight of cash in my first offer is enough to get the seller to accept. If the bike has been listed for a month or more, the seller may be willing to negotiate. Since you are new to riding, ask the seller to take it for a spin and you follow in your vehicle. Specifically ask to include some highway time in the demo ride. That keeps you safe, doesn't risk you dropping the bike, and ensures the bike runs well. Good luck.

Below is a link to a checklist for buying a used motorcycle. If you know someone who rides, take them along and both of you go through the checklist. https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f74/revised-bike-checklist-8551.html

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just for comparison, my '86 with 3800mi cost me $1000 in California, seemed about the going price. Add nearly $400 to register it.

However I would not say it was in pristine condition. Front spokes too rusted to adjust, most rubber gone hard/not sealing. I've probably put another $500 into refurbishing front brakes, replacing fork seals, seat cuishioning, etc.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Repair parts for an 86 are hard to impossible to find. That one is more for an experienced shade-tree mechanic to adopt as a labor of love to keep it running. I'd strongly recommend looking for a 2000 or later.

Reactions: Daren4ch
1 - 6 of 6 Posts