Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2006 Honda rebel and I want to cut the exhaust in half to give it a nice look And make it sound better do I have to adjust the carburetor or rejett the carb if I do what’s the best way to do that.

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
Yes. You can try a site that recommends jet sizes for what you want to do, but it may come down to trial and error.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Exhaust systems are engineered and the mufflers are designed relative to the engine displacement to create an engineered amount of back pressure. With the required amount of back pressure there will be a scavenging effect that will cause a lean condition ie unburned fuel is sucked out before it can be completely burned. There is no fix for that except back pressure. The engine will run hot and very erratic, although it will sound good and powerful.

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
Exhaust systems are engineered and the mufflers are designed relative to the engine displacement to create an engineered amount of back pressure. With the required amount of back pressure there will be a scavenging effect that will cause a lean condition ie unburned fuel is sucked out before it can be completely burned. There is no fix for that except back pressure. The engine will run hot and very erratic, although it will sound good and powerful.
Very good point. Some have restored back pressure by welding a washer with an appropriate sized hole back over the exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys you have been a big help I will keep that in mind. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a brand new exhaust system but my goal is atleast to make it a little louder than stock.

·
Administrator
4,933 Posts
i think it's time to post this video again - it's been a while

i made this exhaust myself from suzuki 4 into 2 sport bike - it can never be replicated

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
You can make it louder by simply removing one or two baffles. No need to cut the mufflers. Use a metal hole saw to remove the end of the muffler, exposing the first baffle. Grab it with pliers, and work the baffle out. Check to see if it's loud enough, and repeat as needed. There are three baffles and two can be removed without the need to rejet, according to those who have done this mod.

·
Registered
'09 Rebel, '19 Baja Pulsar 180, '04 Hardley XL 883 Sportster
98 Posts
When people pass with really loud mufflers, interrupting conversations, My comment is, "That's why they don't want us to have guns !".

·
Registered
2003 Honda Rebel 250
39 Posts
So I have a 2006 Honda rebel and I want to cut the exhaust in half to give it a nice look And make it sound better do I have to adjust the carburetor or rejett the carb if I do what’s the best way to do that.
Hello, I have been in here in a while and your post kinda caught my eye. When I got my rebel that was the very first thing I had to change was louder exhaust. I ended up buying an exhaust kit from BCB and me and my pops got it done in 20 mins. Absolutely 100% better. I also ended up taking the baffles out as well just for the hell of it. I didn't have to rejet either. I'm pretty sure I'm the website it says you won't have to. Ill post a video tmrw if you're curious

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello, I have been in here in a while and your post kinda caught my eye. When I got my rebel that was the very first thing I had to change was louder exhaust. I ended up buying an exhaust kit from BCB and me and my pops got it done in 20 mins. Absolutely 100% better. I also ended up taking the baffles out as well just for the hell of it. I didn't have to rejet either. I'm pretty sure I'm the website it says you won't have to. Ill post a video tmrw if you're curious
Heck yes I would love if you could post that

·
Registered
2003 Honda Rebel 250
39 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Rebel 250
39 Posts
New video by Katie Jarvis see if that link works If not I'll try upload the video, it wasn't letting me earlier. I 100% recommend doing it, they don't call it a chopper for nothing right? Lol
Also with the bobber kits they are make to fit rebels so they're super easy installation. You also don't have to rejet or do any other modifications to it. Someone above me mentioned something about removing the baffles without cutting the exhaust. I don't believe you could do it with stock exhaust. I know I couldn't with mine. There's no way to pull the baffles out of the cone shape without having to make a cut, until I got the cocktail shakers then it was just a simple easy bolt to undo and pull out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
Someone above me mentioned something about removing the baffles without cutting the exhaust. I don't believe you could do it with stock exhaust. I know I couldn't with mine. There's no way to pull the baffles out of the cone shape without having to make a cut, until I got the cocktail shakers then it was just a simple easy bolt to undo and pull out.
The stock exhaust baffles can be removed by following the procedure outlined above, which involves using a metal hole saw to remove the end cap of the muffler. It's been done by several members here.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Rebel 250
39 Posts
Im sorry I shouldn't have said it's probably not possible because you can customize anything anymore. I watched this video
and he did it didn't look like it was too difficult but like he said in the video it sounds like a pissed off sewing machine 🤣 I love my exhaust from BCB and for not having any experience working on bikes & being a 24 y.o woman it was about 20 mins to easily install & it sounds SO much better than a pissed off sewing machine lol

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
The BCB, or any brand cocktail shaker exhaust, provides a deeper, throatier exhaust note. The BCB muffler is expensive compared to the others, but is good quality and comes with supports that fit the bike without modification. That's a definite plus.

·
Super Moderator
31,743 Posts
It will run fine, without carb modifications, with 0, 1, or 2 baffles removed. Remove all three and you'll need to adjust the carb. There are no engine performance gains from removing any or all of the baffles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts