Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2006 Honda rebel and I want to cut the exhaust in half to give it a nice look And make it sound better do I have to adjust the carburetor or rejett the carb if I do what’s the best way to do that.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
Yes. You can try a site that recommends jet sizes for what you want to do, but it may come down to trial and error.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Exhaust systems are engineered and the mufflers are designed relative to the engine displacement to create an engineered amount of back pressure. With the required amount of back pressure there will be a scavenging effect that will cause a lean condition ie unburned fuel is sucked out before it can be completely burned. There is no fix for that except back pressure. The engine will run hot and very erratic, although it will sound good and powerful.

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
Exhaust systems are engineered and the mufflers are designed relative to the engine displacement to create an engineered amount of back pressure. With the required amount of back pressure there will be a scavenging effect that will cause a lean condition ie unburned fuel is sucked out before it can be completely burned. There is no fix for that except back pressure. The engine will run hot and very erratic, although it will sound good and powerful.
Very good point. Some have restored back pressure by welding a washer with an appropriate sized hole back over the exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys you have been a big help I will keep that in mind. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a brand new exhaust system but my goal is atleast to make it a little louder than stock.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
i think it's time to post this video again - it's been a while

i made this exhaust myself from suzuki 4 into 2 sport bike - it can never be replicated

·
Super Moderator
29,547 Posts
You can make it louder by simply removing one or two baffles. No need to cut the mufflers. Use a metal hole saw to remove the end of the muffler, exposing the first baffle. Grab it with pliers, and work the baffle out. Check to see if it's loud enough, and repeat as needed. There are three baffles and two can be removed without the need to rejet, according to those who have done this mod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts