Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 rebel 250 with 3k miles, and the stock exhaust is not loud enough for me....i was thinking of cutting off 7inches from the tips, after the baffles. If i do this, should i or do i have to re-jet the carb?

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum. No, you won't need to rejet the carb. Cutting the end off is going to lead to rust at the cut end. Far better to remove a baffle or two (there are three baffles) IMO. This thread explains how to do it: https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f76/baffle-removal-53578.html

Please don't make duplicate threads on the same subject. It won't get an answer any quicker, and can be irritating to respond to one thread, only to find someone else has already done so in the second thread.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Use caution when modifying the exhaust on a Honda Rebel.

There have been reports of power loss due to lean conditions caused by the change in back pressure. I've read about people experiencing erratic throttle behavior at cruising speeds as well.

In theory you should be fine if you don't modify the air-box as well.

I made a how to guide for baffle removal in my thread. https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f18/new-rebel-new-mods-121909-2.html

I would like to add its pretty cool for a few miles while accelerating through the first three gears, but it gets kind of annoying when you goose it at speed. It kind of has a drone to it, with only a gradual increase in rpm once at faster speeds.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
"It's never going to sound like a Harley" and "Sounds like a pissed off lawn mower" have been used to describe the modified Rebel exhaust. If you have your heart set on louder and more rumble (such as it is) buy some aftermarket Jardine pipes made for the Rebel. If you ever plan to sell the Rebel, having a stock exhaust is going to make the bike more salable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Exactly. Like the guy on youtube said," it used to sound like a sewing machine, now it sounds like a pissed off sewing machine." That couldn't be more true.

As for the Jardine pipes, does anyone have a picture of the left side of the bike? No one ever shows that side after installing them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2004 rebel 250 with 3k miles, and the stock exhaust is not loud enough for me....i was thinking of cutting off 7inches from the tips, after the baffles. If i do this, should i or do i have to re-jet the carb?
If you're looking for an angled cut look, then do it. I would step up to a larger jet size myself afterwards tho. My straight pipes on the 250 sound mean. Trick is to cut em way up before the crossover tube to get the larger diameter sound out of them.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Cutting the stock mufflers in half results in the worst possible sound you can produce on these bikes...unless of course you happen to think that a pair of dueling chainsaws in dire need of maintenance is a good sound. For the rest of the world, it both looks and sounds like crap.

I bought my second Rebel "modified" as such and the first thing I did was cut the rest of the muffler off and mate some universal mufflers to the head pipe.

I hole-sawed the rear baffles out of another and that had a nice note to it too.

No matter what route you opt for, rejetting doesn't become an issue until you alter the intake...although cutting off too much exhaust will ruin your valves and the only fix for that is restoring some semblance of exhaust volume (cubic space, not sound level). BTW, that same cubic space will define the high or low pitch you may be seeking, more space yields a lower tone and less space yields a higher tone...think of it as a pair of soda bottles, one filled 3/4 full of water and the other filled 1/4 full. Blow across the tops, the one with more air space has a lower note.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
And once the valves are ruined, the only fix for that is replacement. Removing the mufflers also eliminates the support where they attach to the frame. This eventually leads to the combination of unsupported weight and vibration breaking the exhaust studs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just get a Harley dude, these oldmen in here dont care to modify anything anyway, so any input you need will be hard to get lol
The best thing about being an American is you get to do what you want, when you want and if you want to live and learn the hard way, then just break out that cut off wheel and sawzall and have at it man...you never know until you try.
If your pipes are fine right and wont be sucking in any cold air, then you wont need to worry about valves.
But it will never sound like a harley.
And you said it just wasnt loud enough for you, then make it louder...
Goodnight

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
This old man has modified more bikes than many people will ever own in their lifetime. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
some of the young ones don't want to listen to the old dudes

they're old - they have the Alzheimers

a few young ones understand that they can avoid great expense and wasted effort

if only i had been one of those wise yutes...

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
some of the young ones don't want to listen to the old dudes

they're old - they have the Alzheimers
I know memory is one of the first three things you lose when you get older, but for the life of me I can't think of the other two.

if only i had been one of those wise yutes...
The other life lesson is ''before one can become old and wise, they must first survive being young and rash.''

1 - 14 of 14 Posts