Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have decided to switch back to Lake Hope. I'm familiar with the setting and that suits my comfort level. Perhaps we could all meet somewhere in between during a daily event. I, for one, enjoy each and every one. We indeed have a great bunch of guys and gals.

·
Registered
159 Posts
At Jim's urging, I have posted the announcement below on Facebook. I'll appreciate any feedback, and gladly make changes/improvements to it. There are six of us that have opted to stay at Lake Hope this year, and expect to re-join the Rally next year, wherever it will be. Hope we all have fun and safe rides at both locations.

HONDA REBEL MEETS
ONE WEEKEND - TWO LOCATIONS
OHIO - AUGUST 20 - 21

THE ANNUAL RALLY

This year, the Annual Honda Rebel Rally will be at DILLON STATE PARK, conveniently situated just north-west of Zanesville, Ohio. As it has for the past decade and more, the Rally will feature challenging rides led by Joe Reich (Guba of the Honda Rebel Forum), exploring the back roads and scenic countryside of Ohio’s Appalachian Plateau, one of the nation’s favorite motorcycle hot spots.

This new venue for the Rally is within easy reach of major cities, such as Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, and Pittsburgh. In addition to camping and cabin accommodation available at the State Park, there are numerous motels close by. Less than two hours north of the usual venue at Lake Hope State Park, this year’s Rally provides access to a different area, and some new routes to ride!

The organizer plans to be at Dillon at least from Friday, August 18 thru Wednesday, August 24th, and the major rides will take place at the weekend on Saturday, August 20th, and Sunday, August 21st. The event is open and free for all Rebel Riders and their guests, and you can ride in for a single day, or stay the whole time as you prefer.

THE AUGUST GATHERING

For the first time, we have a second Rebel Rider event taking place nearby on the same weekend as the Rally. This one is at LAKE HOPE STATE PARK, the traditional home of the Annual Rally. The gathering will feature friendly, relaxed cruises through the southern Ohio countryside, led by experienced and local Rebel riders.

Lake Hope is in a secluded, natural area of the Zaleski State Forest. While this State Park offers camping and cabin accommodation, and there are a few other campsites close by, the nearest small towns are around 15 miles away, and motels are 20 miles away in Athens, Ohio. There is little cell phone or Internet service in the area, and it is definitely “off the beaten track”.

With major rides planned for the weekend, August 20th and 21st, the preceding Thursday and Friday, and the following Monday and Tuesday will also feature some enjoyable rides. Evening social events, with food such as chili, a grill out, sandwiches, etc. will be hosted by riders staying in the Park. Again, this one is a free event, with each rider taking responsibility for his own accommodation, riding safety, and conduct.

INFORMATION FOR THESE EVENTS

If you have questions about either or both events, please post them here, and we’ll answer them as best we can.

Facebook Searches - Dillon State Park, Lake Hope State Park
Ecoregion Map Line Atlas Parallel

Map Line Font Geology Screenshot

Map Ecoregion World Slope Gesture

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Might want to clarify that all bikes are welcome; don't have to ride a Rebel.

Reactions: markwilliamson

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do you have to ride a Rebel if you attend one of these events?

No, in my opinion... if you're a member of this Forum, or a Rebel-related FB group, then you and your guest may ride whatever you prefer. However, if you're not, then you should ride a Rebel or clone. Any model of current or earlier Rebel, from 125 through 1100 is welcome, and bikes may be new, original, restored, customized or bobbed. Or just "used and abused"!
😉

Of course, I could be wrong. That happens.

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Previous rallies allowed any model of motorcycle, and some years they almost equaled the number of Rebels. If we're going to get picky, the argument could be made that post 2016 rebels aren't Rebels at all, regardless of their model name.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Previous rallies allowed any model of motorcycle, and some years they almost equaled the number of Rebels.
Historically, there were more "other" types of bikes than Rebels by a WIDE margin. It's only been recently that there are more Rebs.

People are free to bring whatever bike they wish. I wouldn't recommend a trike, too many turns.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My post was designed for the FB Rebel-Riders audience, at the request of Jim (group founder and admin). I published it here for your info, so you'd know what was being published on FB. Subsequently, Flite goaded me (easy to do) into trying to clarify what bikes were admissible, and I responded in a way that I hoped would be acceptable here, as well as for the FB audience. As usual, I guess I failed. ;-)

I said that a member of either Forum or FB group or their "guests" can ride whatever they bring, and anybody else (where would they come from, I wonder???) should ride a Rebel or clone. If this is incorrect or offensive, please let me know, and I'll amend/delete the info in the FB post.

At the Spring Gathering - where we ended up with more 450s than 250s, and mine was the only Rebel built after 1987 - we had appearances by two non-Rebel bikes. Lenny, a member of our FB group and the Forum, I think, came on his Boulevard C50. Lenny qualifies to ride anything, and the C50 is clearly a Rebel clone (2 wheels and nice chrome). Justin's step-father brought his HD Sportster, a very special Screaming Eagle version, I think. Likewise, he was qualified to ride anything because he was Justin's guest, and anyway, the Sportster is another Rebel clone (anything that screams). He'd left his riding boots home, so we only got to admire the bike's sound, and not its performance. (Maybe next time!) Whatever the "policy" might be, I doubt that even a stranger turning up on even a mini-bike powered by a lawnmower engine would be turned away from any Rebel event. Just left in the dirt, hopefully. ;-)

As far as the new Rebels go, it seems to me that - just like our earlier models - they owe their design partly to previous Hondas, and partly to other bikes. However, if you overlay side views of, for example Rebel 250 and newer Rebel 300 models, you'll see amazing similarities in the layout. Can't be coincidence! If Honda just added some more color and a lot of chrome, they'd maybe get my attention! We had an 1100 at last year's Rally, and it certainly seemed able to keep up with the 250s. Whatever the differences, it seems to me that the riders of both old and new models share similarities - for many of them, like me, the Rebel is the first bike they own, they love the bike as well as the riding experience, they like its nimbleness and forgiving nature, to ride it far and wide, and to make it "their own".

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited by Moderator)
My post was designed for the FB Rebel-Riders audience, at the request of Jim (group founder and admin). I published it here for your info, so you'd know what was being published on FB.
Frankly speaking, I'm tired of you hi-jacking my thread!!!! This thread is for Dillon State Park rally!!! I don't care what Jim tells you to do!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
OK, thanks, Joe. I'll stay off your thread.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Frankly speaking, I'm tired of you hi-jacking my thread!!!! This thread is for Dillon State Park rally!!! I don't care what Jim tells you to do!!!!
Yea...I'm kinda done here. Don't think this talk will attract more participants and I'll be at Lake Hope anyway.

As mentioned before, I will be at Lake Hope annually, regardless of whatever happens, but I do not know if I will (bother or want to) correlate it with (Joe's traditional Rebel) meet. Seems a bit unwelcoming to bite Mark's hand when he is (just) trying to get people to attend. Also, bashing FB (and those of us that use it to keep up with Rebel stuff) is a bit petty too.

Meh....whatever...after reading that response, I'm way done with 'The Dillon' thing. Turning off this thread, maybe even this forum too!

Have fun!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts