Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently became the owner of an ‘86 450 project bike.
Previous owner bought the bike 15-17 years ago in California.
When I did internet searches prior to joining here there appeared to be a difference in CA bikes vs rest of the 48.
I’m assuming these were emissions control related. Are any of these ‘mechanical’ as in lower compression motors or were these simply ‘bolt on - rip off’ items such as vacuum return lines, crankcase evac lines.
What I’m really asking is will any of this prevent the motor from running correctly if not re-installed?
Right now carbs are off, intakes missing and half the wiring harness is awol.

·
Administrator
4,989 Posts
I believe the difference is just a few hoses and a carbon canister. You can check for your self here:

and

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
96 Posts
In most cases it is just the addition of a charcoal cannister. I have a CA bike. I removed the cannister and all the fittings and plugged everything up. It was causing hard starting, and would not start at all if I filled the tank all the way up. As far as I know, that's it for Rebels. Some high performance bikes do have different engine specs, especially cam specs, and CA models tend to make a bit less power. But I don't believe any cruiser would have any differences like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts