Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that this forum is for 1st and 2nd Gen Rebels. I came across CM450 which seems t have the same size engines as Rebl 450 at 447 c.c. Both have six speed transmissions. Does anyone knows how different (or similar, for that matter) are the two bikes?

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,702 Posts
I think that it's the same engine and transmission package

·
Registered
452 Posts
Frame, wheels, forks, brakes are all different.
It's a completely different bike with a similar engine. I understand the engine mounts are different enough that a CM450 engine can't be mounted into a CMX450 frame, someone please correct me if that bit is wrong.

Reactions: redeemer1972

·
Administrator
4,920 Posts
I compared engine parts fiche for the CM450 and CMX450 - there are some reused parts.

Chain balancer shafts, cam sprocket, a few universal type parts on the cam shaft like springs, seals, a lot of the clutch, little on the crankshaft, crankshaft connecting rod bearings, lots of o-rings and bolts.

The engines are similar but I would expect as @Alan F. stated that the engines won't swap to a completely different frame. CM vs. CMX

·
Registered
1986 CMX450 12k miles
21 Posts
I had a new 1981 CM400 Custom, 5 speed, predecessor to the CM450. I now have a 1986 cmx450 Rebel. The 1981 was geared lower by comparison. It was quick to launch and peppy to drive around town. It also had more of an upright driving position. A different riding experience altogether. I would recommend a CM450 heartily.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,702 Posts
Yaatri, in case you're interested, I have a PM for you. Others might want it if you don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.