Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my bike all torn apart and on a stand for about 10 days to 2 weeks now doing some work. During that time it's not been on it's trickle charger. Got the bike all put back together and hopped on it to check out everything on the road. Started just fine and got me 200 yards to the gate. Turned off the bike to use the keys to open the gate and bikie-no-startie! :eek: I know which battery to buy, but I don't understand why the battery wouldn't hold a charge for two weeks off the charger. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
86 Rebel 450 (blue w/title and Black no title yet)
185 Posts
you shouldn’t need to have it on a trickle charger unless you have a parasitic draw somewhere. My bikes sat for a good 45 days after my neck surgery and held a charge just fine. Mine only see a trickle charger when new or just before winter. I only charge them to full and then let them sit all winter.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When my last battery went to Biker's Heaven, it was recommended since I don't (didn't at the time) ride every day I should put it on a trickle charger that shakes up the cells and keeps everything in tip top shape. I've done that. My bike fires hard and fast. But in a little less than two weeks the battery was a gonner. It's one of those "You're darned if you do and darned if you don't" situations I think. But I thought I should get a whole lot more than two weeks out of a battery after takiing it off the charger.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heaven's flitecontrol, it's been a good 6 years since I bought the battery. I don't even know what brand it is without pulling the side cover off my bike. Don't remember if it came charged or I had to charge it. I've gone ahead and ordered a new one. Should be here Sunday. In the mean time, the battery is on the maintainer and I'm hoping it'll be charged in the morning for my ride to the gym.

·
Registered
86 Rebel 450 (blue w/title and Black no title yet)
185 Posts
Lol, at 6 years I can understand it needing to be on the trickle charger. Just be ready to push start it if the battery is dead after your workout.

·
Super Moderator
32,325 Posts
When my last battery went to Biker's Heaven, it was recommended since I don't (didn't at the time) ride every day I should put it on a trickle charger that shakes up the cells and keeps everything in tip top shape. I've done that. My bike fires hard and fast. But in a little less than two weeks the battery was a gonner. It's one of those "You're darned if you do and darned if you don't" situations I think. But I thought I should get a whole lot more than two weeks out of a battery after takiing it off the charger.
I read this in haste and made an incorrect assumption. o_O

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem flitecontrol.

Just checked the battery. When I turned the key on the bike, my neutral light barely lit. No Headlight. Guess I'm not going anywhere until my new battery arrives Sunday. :D But as soon as it arrives I want to get it installed because I want to ride, ride, ride. :banana:

·
Super Moderator
32,325 Posts
If you ordered it online, you may need to add acid and charge it at no more than 1.5 amps (.5 to .75 is better) for around five hours before it is ready to install. I use a battery tender to charge mine because it charges at less amperage.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
32,325 Posts
Yes, use the tender. It should stop charging once the battery is fully charged. That's a good price on the battery.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New battery arrived Sunday. Put the acid in it. Immediately show 12.67volts. Put it on the trickle charger. Put the old one on my smart charger that evaluates the condition and posts what is wrong with the battery. Set it for a repair cycle. This morning I went to it and the charger said there's a dead cell in it. New battery showed 13.8volts. Put it in the bike and it works a treat.

·
Super Moderator
32,325 Posts
A four amp charger is too fast a rate for a Rebel battery. Max should be around 1.5, and .75 is better. I read the one and two star ratings on the HF charger, and it seems there are a lot of duds among the good ones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I work in a business that does chargers (but not for automotive) for our gear, I can assure you that 4A is not too much with this type of charger, with taper and auto cut off. Now with the old primitive ones with no, or little control 1.5 ish is ok for small bike sized batteries. Yea HF sells a ton of these and there are going to be duds and people that just don't apply them right, you know read the manual. I have had mine for a couple of years now to keep all the large and small batteries up around here. A guy I know that has a ton of lawn and garden equipment to keep up turned me on to these.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts