Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got an 08 Rebel 250. Bought it for 400$ because it had a significant oil leak from the front sprocket. So, after finding basically no help on the internet regarding getting the dang countershaft seal off, I went to work prying the thing out. Now that the new one is in, oil is just pouring out like its an open drain plug. Did I damage something worse or is it just not seated right? My surfaces were clean and I don't see how I could have installed it wrong, but I know nothing about these things.

·
Super Moderator
30,024 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A member here recently had a similar issue. The Dreaded Oil Seal Leak! | Honda Rebel Forum

If the seat for the seal wasn't damaged, and the seal was properly installed and the right size, it shouldn't leak.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So I just got an 08 Rebel 250. Bought it for 400$ because it had a significant oil leak from the front sprocket. So, after finding basically no help on the internet regarding getting the dang countershaft seal off, I went to work prying the thing out. Now that the new one is in, oil is just pouring out like its an open drain plug. Did I damage something worse or is it just not seated right? My surfaces were clean and I don't see how I could have installed it wrong, but I know nothing about these things.
Pictures will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts