Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Im confused.

Attached are the wiring diagrams for the Generation 1 Rebel 250 (classic) & Generation 2 Rebel 250.
My confusion is relating to the rewire to allow a Gen 2 CDI work with Gen 1 wiring as instructed in the stickie post.

Upon looking at the 2 diagrams and following the rewire instruction suggests to me modifying the wiring to work on a Gen 2 loom, not a Gen 1???? Im i missing something here?? only one blk/yel wire used? Aint that how a CDI for a Gen 2 is wired??

I tried this method/rewire to make a Gen 2 CDI work on a Gen 1 loom - it didn't work, nothing, no spark, nadda...
Reversing what I did, the bike fired up fine....

Maybe Im thick, it don't make sense to me...

R

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
GEN2 CDI has a nanny circuit that gets connected to ground when the kickstand is up or the transmission is in neutral. GEN1 doesn't have a wire to support that, it has 2 coil wires instaed of 1. To use a gen2 CDI on a GEN 1 bike you need to ground the nanny pin and splice together the coil wires onto 1 pin. To use a GEN1 CDI on a GEN2 bike you have to remove the nanny wire from the harness and leave that pin unconnected.

I traced through the diagrams and put this together:

GEN1 = GEN2 CDI mapping

Gen 1 has 1 R/B(Red/Black) for power from the alternator, Gen2 has 1 BLK/RED for power from the alternator.
GEN 1 has 1 L/Y(Blue/Yellow) to receive the timing signal fron the pickup coil, Gen2 has 1 BLU/YEL to receive the timing signal from the Ignition Pulse Generator.
Gen 1 has 1 Dg(Dark Green) for continuous ground, Gen 2 has 1 GRN for continuous ground
Gen 1 has 1 B/W(Black/White) that runs to the Engine Run/stop and ignition key switch, Gen 2 has 1 BLK/WHT that runs to the engine run/stop and ignition key switch.

Gen 1 has 2 Y/B(Yellow/Black) to fire the coils, Gen2 has 1 BLK/YEL that splits to fire the coils.
Gen 1 has NO nanny connection, Gen 2 has 1 GRN/WHT that gets connected to ground when the sidestand is up or the transmission is in neutral.

some google searching and I put this together, hopefully someone can confirm or correct this:

Gen1 pins
===============================================================

|| Blue/yellow(trigger) - Black/yellow(coil) || Black/white(kill switch) ||
|| Green(ground) - Black/yellow(coil) || Red/Black(power from alternator)||

Gen2 pins
|| BLU/YEL(trigger) - BLK/YEL(coils) || BLK/WHT(Kill switch) ||
|| GRN(ground) - GRN/WHY(nanny) || BLK/RED(power from alternator) ||

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

yeah, your findings seem correct to me. My CDI is GEN 2, although my harness/bike is GEN 1
The rewire of a GEN 2 to run on a GEN 1 rebel doesn't work for me, if I leave the GEN2 CDI and loom wiring as is, my bike runs, but if rewired, it doesn't.
I bought a GEN 2 CDI as my original broke. Maybe my bike is an anomaly?

Odd..!

Cheers
R

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
hmmm
The coils are just transformers, one end connects to the CDI, the other goes through the primary winding to ground, its possibly plugging a Gen2 straight in might achieve an 'acceptable' ground through the coil to ground, but then you would find the bike is firing on only 1 cylinder and the other would reek of unburnt gasoline.

or

are you sure it's an unmodified Gen1 harness? if the 2nd coil wire is already spliced to the first elsewhere you don't see, and the nanny wire looking like coilwire #2 is already grounded somewhere else you don't see and you move it to the first coil pin, that could ground out the coil pin and you get no spark at all....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting - not thought about that - think I may have to remove the harness. its def a gen1, although I did give it a strip down, clean and re-wrapping. Might have overlooked something upon re-assemble!

cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know this is an old thread. I'm looking for the wiring diagram for a 2014 Rebel 250C. Is the 2014 model considered Gen 2 Rebel. If yes, then I've already picked up the wiring diagram herein.

I have a service manual, but I'm on the road, many miles separate me (on the bike) and manual I left at home.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
96-16 Gen2

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

yeah, your findings seem correct to me. My CDI is GEN 2, although my harness/bike is GEN 1
The rewire of a GEN 2 to run on a GEN 1 rebel doesn't work for me, if I leave the GEN2 CDI and loom wiring as is, my bike runs, but if rewired, it doesn't.
I bought a GEN 2 CDI as my original broke. Maybe my bike is an anomaly?

Odd..!

Cheers
R
So you're saying that you ran a GEN2 CDI on a GEN1 bike without building the harness and it worked?!?!?!

I got a Gen2 for the 86 and built the adapter and it no work. I guess there isn't a chance in damaging the cdi by trying it without the adapter eh?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So you're saying that you ran a GEN2 CDI on a GEN1 bike without building the harness and it worked?!?!?!

I got a Gen2 for the 86 and built the adapter and it no work. I guess there isn't a chance in damaging the cdi by trying it without the adapter eh?
nearly 2 year old post, if he hasn't figured it out yet, all I can say my 87 runs fine with 2nd generation CDI using adapter I built..
https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f80/new-cdi-adapters-14823-10.html#post1186033

doesn't have to be this involved if you strip insulation and solder connections of wire harness.. with my adapter I can simply change out either generation in 10 minuets..

Plugging in a 2nd gen Cdi into 1st gen bike will connect nanny safety circuit into one of the coils primary side than to ground.... it's not energized but is much higher resistance than what 2nd gen cdi would be designed for..
Damage ~ can't say anything is possible with electronics..

which CDI did you buy? some state they work and don't
Have a photo of your adapter connections?

Happy to help if I can..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts